Question about preserving copper - gun oil?

Still Waters

Nov 12, 2009
Hello,

I have a number of copper coins that I want to preserve. What I am looking for is ideas on what to coat them with once I have reached a desired level of cleaning. I have heard tell of many things used, and I have some ideas as well. One idea that crossed my mind is gun oil. It protects and prevents rust on guns, so wouldnt it serve to reason that it would do the same to an old copper coin? While doing a little research on that subject, I dug up this article which gives me another possability for preservation:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=271x1301

According to the article, synthetic motor oil outclasses gun oil for use in cleaning firearms on a number of levels. Would you think a light coating on a copper coin would also help preserve the coin and keep it moist?

Thank you for any insight into this subject. I am open to other suggestions as well. If you have a technique that works please feel free to share it.
Still Waters

S

stefen

Oils have a tendancy to darken copper coins...leaves fingerprints...attracts dust and dirt...damages books and sleeves...

I use a product called "Renaissance Wax" which is available from Rockler Woodworking Stores or online...the seals all coin surfaces regardless of metal type and fully protects from all elements...

Its a microcrystalline wax polish that is used for antique restoration and museum curation...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17424&source=googleps&cookietest=1

Attachments

• 39031-01-200.jpg
    39031-01-200.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,153
OP
OP
S

Still Waters

Nov 12, 2009
Thank you for the suggestion. My question in reguards to the wax is - does it darken the metal as you mentioned oil does?
Still Waters

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I've never put anything on copper. I have coins I dug in the early '70's that I have done nothing to but put in a coin folder and they look the same now as when I put them in the folders. The only metal I have put anything on is pewter and occasionaly on a the back of a belt plate if the lead is crumbling

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
wax generally does not attract dirt. personally I use Johnson's floor wax, I also use it on my tablesaw to
keep it clean, protected from moisture, and makes the wood slide a lot better

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gun oil would only attract dust / dirt. The Johnson's Paste Wax would be good, if you wipe off most of it and leave just a fine coating filling the pores of the metal. Then, again, vayank54 is correct. If you clean the copper coin / medal / token, then dry it thoroughly, and lastly, put it into a holder; you shouldn't need a coating.

S

stefen

Still Waters said:
Thank you for the suggestion. My question in reguards to the wax is - does it darken the metal as you mentioned oil does?
Still Waters

Generally, wax should not darken metal unless it contains oils or is an oil derivitative. Check the formula before using.

If in doubt, do not use a wax unless it has a proven record and reputation.

http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/RenWax.html

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Gun oil would only attract dust / dirt. The Johnson's Paste Wax would be good, if you wipe off most of it and leave just a fine coating filling the pores of the metal. Then, again, vayank54 is correct. If you clean the copper coin / medal / token, then dry it thoroughly, and lastly, put it into a holder; you shouldn't need a coating.

The problem with cleaning coppers this way is that if you clean with water you can remove the patina (which in some cases is the only thing that will show the detail of the coin). At that point, you'll be preserving a lump of copper instead of a coin.

I use different methods. I start with a wet Q-tip to remove the dirt. If the patina looks sturdy, I use the peroxide method. If the detail is flaking away I will seal with wax to preserve.

Some coins--if I can tell from the color of the patina, etc that it will work--I will actually remove most of the thick patina with a toothbrush and water, then using oil from my skin, lightly rub a finger across the high points in the design to bring the design out. This procedure works well for nickels and CN IH cents dug in my area too.

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread