Coin cleaning with WD40 vs boiled linseed oil ?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I read a post that sounded very positive using boiled linseed oil to clean copper coins (unfortunately I've been unable to locate the original post again :icon_scratch: ).

The poster stated that he would use a paper towel soaked with boiled linseed oil, fold it in half, place the copper coins to be cleaned inside, place a weight on top to compress the paper towel onto the coins and let it sit for a week. After a week the paper towel would be stuck to the coin crud and when pulled apart the crud would stick to the paper towel and the coin would be clean. Sounded like a great idea, so I decided to try it, but I couldn't find linseed oil and instead tried WD40.

Today was the unveiling day, unfortunately it didn't appear to have the same results as using boiled linseed oil :tongue3:

If anyone uses the boiled linseed oil method, whats specifically about it makes it better then other types of cleaning oils?

I did use WD40 to clean a pair of copper flying wings I found over the summer that were encrusted in tar (looks like they were stuck in asphalt at one point) and the WD40 did a great job of breaking down the tar.

Thanks,
Brian

Dedimus

Jan 14, 2010
envyville
Rando said:
Never tried either, but I know WD40 is basically a fish oil derivative with some thinners and a propellant, shouldn't be harmful on most things you can use other oils on. i think the problem with WD40 is that people think it is a lubricant, and it is not. The propellant an dthinner was probably what removed the tar.

Linseed oil can be found by the paints and paint thinners in most stores.

I also know the method described with the paper towel works very well with olive oil as well.
You are most educated . WD40 is not a lubricant.

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
There is NO water in WD 40, it is a water displacer.
That's what WD stands for.

"Water Displacement - 40th Attempt".

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I didn't really learn anything about cleaning coins from my post, but I learned a LOT about WD40 :thumbsup:

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
HI JUST READ YOUR POST..i USE LINSEED OIL (BOILED ) WHICH DRYS QUICKER THAN STANDARD LINSEED.ON MY FURNITURE .I HAVENT TRIED THIS ON COINS BUT I WILL WITHOUT A WORRY AS ITS A MINERAL SUBSTANCE ...i PERSONALLY CAN SEE IT WORKING WHEN IT DRIES IN MAYBE A COUPLE OF DAYS...CHEERS

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a guy use WD-40 in his car detailing business. It worked very well without having to use
so much elbow grease. He used it to remove stains from upholstery and carpet and also to clean
the road grime off the wheels.

I even tried it on my own vehicles whenever I wanted to do an extra good job of cleaning them.
HH, Yard Digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread