Best way to clean Sacagawea dollars

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody got a good way to clean up the "Mother of all clad", the Sacagawea (barely brass coated) dollar?

Copper with manganese brass cladding:
88.5% Cu
6% Zn
3.5% Mn
2% Ni

The coins are made from pure copper with a manganese brass outer clad. Unlike most other coins in circulation, the selected outer alloy has a tendency to tarnish quite severely in circulation, as is the case with most brasses, resulting in a loss of the golden "patina". While some consider the blackening an undesired quality, the Mint suggests the uneven tarnishing effect gives the the coins an "antique finish" that "accentuates the profile and adds a dimension of depth to the depiction of Sacagawea and her child".

LOL - Once the clad is removed, the copper comes off in your hand...

I have found several and have successfully ruined one already... :'( All suggestions welcome!!!
-whynot

S

stefen

Take them to a bank or store and exchange for paper dollar bills...then you will clean up :thumbsup:

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50
I mix 3 parts water- 1 part muratic acid. Dip in for 2 sec. put in baking soda for 2 min, wash with water and dry. No longer than 2 sec, put in backing soda immediately. Work's for me.

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies
I hate those junk coins, the SaggyJo's.

The Susan B. Anthony is another loser ( a looker she ain't! Howza bout that schnoz :icon_profileright:) .

Don't clean 'em dump 'em.

We need a fox on a dollar coin. Miss Liberty from the Peace dollar has my vote!
She's a cutie.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
why are you wasting time cleaning them ? take them to the bank, let them worry about it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions