navel jelly question

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
It helps to remove the lint from your belly button.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually I'm also interested in the answer.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its used to remove surface rust.

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so is this safe to use??? lets say on a wheatie or maybe on a coin thats not too recognizable or is there a safer way??..six

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Most coins that are found probably will not have rust, just corrosion and pitting. I use it for knifes or sword blades. It is highly corrosive and known to cause cancer in lab rats in California :o...Use gloves. I recently had a pocket knife blade that it took rust out of all the pits with no problem.

I really have not tried it on coins. Not sure if it is a good idea but I'm sure others will tell ya how it may work on coinage. Give a penny a try and see how she treats it.

Cheers!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MOST common use of naval jelly or aluminum jelly for cleaning of finds is to preserve and shine the gold gilding on gilded objects like buttons, civilian buckles, or other decorative items.

Please see my thread on cleaning buttons for some examples of aluminum jelly uses and Many before/after photos:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i see this topic is a year old allready.but i being fairly new to metal detecting i'm trying to find a good method of cleaning my coins.anyway last summer i was trying to touch up some rust spots on my old van with naval jelly that i had bought and thought i would give it try on a few really discolored coins that i had dug.a clad quarter,dime and a pre 82 copper penny.i brushed it on heavy and let it sit for an hour and it did'nt make one bit of a differance they were the same as before i even brushed the jelly on.so i hope this helps anyones curiosity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread