one amp trickle batt, charger. 6 volt or 12 volt for cleaning coins

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Jon I'm new at this too, and want to purchase equiptment to do this. I don't know if the trickle charger would work, better leave that to the experts, but from reading other posts these are a few of the products they listed to put in the distilled water. As far as amounts, I would like to know that too.
-salt (not iodised)
-baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) This may be best over the salt, if just trying to use items around the house
-Soda Ash (sodium carbonate) You can get this fairly cheep at a pool supply store, suggested in a post: Aqua Clear brand (but brand does not matter) with pH increaser and the ingredients is what is important, look at the ingredients and look for: ingredients: Sodium Carbonate......................100%
Hope this helps. Any info on amounts of these ingredients vs. amount of water? Help us out here guys.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jon43 said:
i seen were some of you use electrosis for cleaning coins from what i seen on here it works do you think this trickle charger would work and if it would work what kind of mix would i put in the water ??? thanks for any help :)

jon43, mix one tablespoon of baking soda into a coffee cup of water. This is approxamate so more or less is okay. The important thing is to mix it well so it doesn't sink to the bottom of the cup.

Just make sure you follow those online plans and get the connectors in the right places. The current must flow from the coin to the spoon.

If when you start the coin starts to turn blue or some funny color, reverse the connectors. The coin (not the spoon) should start to bubble first.

Here's a plan but I recommend baking soda in place of salt. Baking soda stays cleaner and works better. Use name brand baking soda.

http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm

In a copper wire ellectrons are negatively-charged and therefore flow from negative to positive. This means that electron flow is opposite in direction to conventional current.

HC (Happy Cleaning)

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
thank you both about the mix. the only proplem i got is the clips on this charger are big. but i hope that wont hurt , i will just get a large glass bowl :) thanks again

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also use solid copper wire to make a coin holding basket. This way you save your clips.

Just make sure you use A SOLID COPPER wire, not that multi wire junk.

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Oh, I almost forgot. Practice with some clads first, to make sure you have it right. Take before and after photos and post good ones on here. If your planning on cleaning some old ones, I'd love to see the results.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
i got a seated dime, looks like 1876? on the back the mint is: cc the only cc mint mark i have ever found. stupid me, i cleaned some other coin, and i must have not cleaned the stuff all the way off and now the back of it that i could read real good is now almost unreadable the front was allways bad. but I'm going to try to clean it. but i got other coins that I'm going to try first. thanks again. these are the before pic,s. i know you can not see any thing on the scanner pic,s but hope i can clean it up ??? .

Attachments

• 1876 dime 001.jpg
    1876 dime 001.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 1876 dime the back.jpg
    1876 dime the back.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 476

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
try the old aluminum foil method first before electrosys. get a coffe cup of hot water. dissolve baking soda in the water. loosely wrap the coin in aluminum foil and sink it in the water so that it is submerged. wait a few minutes and unwrap the coin. rub it with a soft damp cloth or your fingers and rinse it in water. repeat if necissary. that should remove that black oxidation from the silver without losing any definition on the coin.electrosys may damage the detail on the coin. if the foil trick works it may be a better way to go.its probably worth a try.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
hollowpointred said:
try the old aluminum foil method first before electrosys. get a coffe cup of hot water. dissolve baking soda in the water. loosely wrap the coin in aluminum foil and sink it in the water so that it is submerged. wait a few minutes and unwrap the coin. rub it with a soft damp cloth or your fingers and rinse it in water. repeat if necissary. that should remove that black oxidation from the silver without losing any definition on the coin.electrosys may damage the detail on the coin. if the foil trick works it may be a better way to go.its probably worth a try.
thanks i will try that first

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, been using the foil method mostly myself. In fact, I think I invented the cup/foil/wrap thingy.

I clean most of my shipwreck pieces of eight (8 reales) this way. It's a mild form of electrolysis.

Attachments

• eight.jpg
    eight.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 462
  • eight.jpg
    eight.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 454
  • eight3.jpg
    eight3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 461
OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
hollowpointred said:
i tired this two times the front looked better but it is pitted. the back did nothing. theres know hope for this coin. but i like it , its the first seated dime i have found + the cc mint mark may time for the tank?

Attachments

• 1876 dime after, the frount.jpg
    1876 dime after, the frount.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 471

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
oh well. sometimes it works.maybe it is time for the tank. just keep an eye on it and be carefull. electrosys can sometimes take away definition.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
hollowpointred said:
oh well. sometimes it works.maybe it is time for the tank. just keep an eye on it and be carefull. electrosys can sometimes take away definition.
i have not put that one in the tank yet. but i got some kind of copper coin or token cooking in the pot. and you can see the crude comeing off it. next im going to try a murc in ther thats real bad :D thanks for the info :) the water was clean but now dirty. im keeping a watch to make sure i dont over cook ::)

Attachments

• cooking now.jpg
    cooking now.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 509

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
For the copper coin: Keep the electrolysis bath clean and clean the coin with baking soda and water once and awhile. If you let the coin just fry it will remove detail.

For the silver coin use only a short electrolysis treatment (maybe 5 to 15 minutes). All you want to do is remove the chunks of corrosion.

Dry the coin and polish it with SIMICHROME polish or use NEVR-DULL.

You could try soaking your silver dimes in lemon juice for a couple days or so if the electrolysis doesn't work. Lemon juice won't harm the metal.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
ok my copper coin has been cooking a while. it has a hole in it were some one long ago i guess wore it around the neck. i have took it out a few times and wiped it. i see a n close to were the hole is, also see a few stars ( no not my wife beating me over the head :) ). and now i see it has reeded edges. the one thing i like about this charger is that it shuts its self off when it gets hot. the next thing that I'm going to try is a murc dime that is real bad on both sides but i can see a 1943 date on it. man, if this works i have watch flop's and all kinds of other stuff to clean

Attachments

• one dirty dime.jpg
    one dirty dime.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 415

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
you do know that cleaning coins greatly diminishes thier value? just something to think about.i usually only clean stuff when i cant identify it or when its not worth much to begin with.i would hate to see you clean your whole collection and ruin it.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
hollowpointred said:
you do know that cleaning coins greatly diminishes thier value? just something to think about.i usually only clean stuff when i cant identify it or when its not worth much to begin with.i would hate to see you clean your whole collection and ruin it.
I'm just doing a test run on the things i have that i can not identify , like the copper coin or what ever it is. the dirty dime , i have a lot of them that date. but i would not clean nothing that i know is worth a bit of money. i got a few good coins that are worth a bit and they got some problem's but would never cook them

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
thats cool.dont forget to post again when you know the identity of that copper coin/token. now im wondering what it is!

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Thanks Jon for all the pics. Now I know what I might be running into with electrolysis. They're sure right about practicing on clad first, before trying to clean things this way on older coins you can't identify. Can't wait to see pics on the token.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread