Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2008
    Maryland
    Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
    1 times

How I know the correct weight of a ring if it has diamond?

Hi Fellow

Instead to remove the diamond from the ring, how I know the correct weight?

Arch

http://carvedstonequest.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    7506 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: How I know the correct weight of a ring if it has diamond?

Are you talking about the scrap weight of the ring? If your going to scrap it, then just remove the diamond and weigh it. There isn't a lot of weight in diamonds so if you weigh it with the diamond, unless you have the Hope Diamond in it I would not worry about it as far as the total weight of the gold....

As far as diamond weights go, diamond weights are measured in "carats." One carat equals 1/142nd of an ounce, or 1/5th of a gram. In other words... there are 142 carats in 1 ounce and 5 carats in 1 gram.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Nov 2008
    Maryland
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    Are you talking about the scrap weight of the ring? If your going to scrap it, then just remove the diamond and weigh it. There isn't a lot of weight in diamonds so if you weigh it with the diamond, unless you have the Hope Diamond in it I would not worry about it as far as the total weight of the gold....

As far as diamond weights go, diamond weights are measured in "carats." One carat equals 1/142nd of an ounce, or 1/5th of a gram. In other words... there are 142 carats in 1 ounce and 5 carats in 1 gram.

Ok Treasure_Hunter, this is an example, look the pic. What would you do?

Arch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring-2.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	418645  

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1364 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I think you are asking: How can the weight of a diamond within a ring be measured? If that is your Q, any jeweler (or pawn shop) can use a device to measure the depth and diameter of the stone. With that information, Tables can be reviewed to state the corresponding weight of the stone.
    Don.......

us
    Nov 2008
    Maryland
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon
    I think you are asking: How can the weight of a diamond within a ring be measured? If that is your Q, any jeweler (or pawn shop) can use a device to measure the depth and diameter of the stone. With that information, Tables can be reviewed to state the corresponding weight of the stone.
    Don.......
    My question is simple: I have a ring with some diamond. I like to get the weight of my ring only, not including the diamond weight. I know there is a method used in Arizona by the nugget hunter.

Arch

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    7506 times

Quote Originally Posted by architecad
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter

Ok Treasure_Hunter, this is an example, look the pic. What would you do?

Arch
    It takes 5 carats of diamonds to make one gram, what is the size of the diamond, for example a 1 carat diamond would weigh 1/5 of a gram, subtract 1/5 of a gram from the total weight of the ring, and that is the weight of the ring with out the diamond. A jeweler can tell you the size of the diamond if it isn't marked on the inside of the ring. If my math is correct there is 15.4 grains to a gram so a 1 carat diamond would weigh aprox 3.1 grains. If your only trying to figure out the value of the gold in the ring, then subtract 3.1 grains per carat from the weight of the ring....

3.1 grains of 14k gold at today's rate is only about $5.00....Unless you just really enjoy doing math problems, I don't even concen myself with trying to subtract the diamond weight to see the true gold value in a ring as it is such a tiny difference....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

ca
    May 2008
    845 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Here is a chart to approximate the weight of a diamond based on it's size. I say approximate as they are not all of the same thickness.

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/update/dia04.htm

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors