How I know the correct weight of a ring if it has diamond?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about the scrap weight of the ring? If your going to scrap it, then just remove the diamond and weigh it. There isn't a lot of weight in diamonds so if you weigh it with the diamond, unless you have the Hope Diamond in it I would not worry about it as far as the total weight of the gold....

As far as diamond weights go, diamond weights are measured in "carats." One carat equals 1/142nd of an ounce, or 1/5th of a gram. In other words... there are 142 carats in 1 ounce and 5 carats in 1 gram.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Treasure_Hunter said:
Are you talking about the scrap weight of the ring? If your going to scrap it, then just remove the diamond and weigh it. There isn't a lot of weight in diamonds so if you weigh it with the diamond, unless you have the Hope Diamond in it I would not worry about it as far as the total weight of the gold....

As far as diamond weights go, diamond weights are measured in "carats." One carat equals 1/142nd of an ounce, or 1/5th of a gram. In other words... there are 142 carats in 1 ounce and 5 carats in 1 gram.

Ok Treasure_Hunter, this is an example, look the pic. What would you do?

Arch

Attachments

• ring-2.jpg
    ring-2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 589

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think you are asking: How can the weight of a diamond within a ring be measured? If that is your Q, any jeweler (or pawn shop) can use a device to measure the depth and diameter of the stone. With that information, Tables can be reviewed to state the corresponding weight of the stone.
Don.......

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Mackaydon said:
I think you are asking: How can the weight of a diamond within a ring be measured? If that is your Q, any jeweler (or pawn shop) can use a device to measure the depth and diameter of the stone. With that information, Tables can be reviewed to state the corresponding weight of the stone.
Don.......

My question is simple: I have a ring with some diamond. I like to get the weight of my ring only, not including the diamond weight. I know there is a method used in Arizona by the nugget hunter.

Arch

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
architecad said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Ok Treasure_Hunter, this is an example, look the pic. What would you do?

Arch

It takes 5 carats of diamonds to make one gram, what is the size of the diamond, for example a 1 carat diamond would weigh 1/5 of a gram, subtract 1/5 of a gram from the total weight of the ring, and that is the weight of the ring with out the diamond. A jeweler can tell you the size of the diamond if it isn't marked on the inside of the ring. If my math is correct there is 15.4 grains to a gram so a 1 carat diamond would weigh aprox 3.1 grains. If your only trying to figure out the value of the gold in the ring, then subtract 3.1 grains per carat from the weight of the ring....

3.1 grains of 14k gold at today's rate is only about $5.00....Unless you just really enjoy doing math problems, I don't even concen myself with trying to subtract the diamond weight to see the true gold value in a ring as it is such a tiny difference....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread