The BEST method for cleaning Iron Relics - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The BEST method for cleaning Iron Relics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Sovereign GT.
    761 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat1750 View Post
    Thanks, Dug! I will work very carefully with my Dremel because I'm not sure how solid the clasp is. Two more questions: 1) I assume it's OK to put brass in the oven? 2) I'm unfamiliar with Microcrystlline wax. Is it easy to get?
    1. I just baked an unloaded 3" Hotchkiss shell that has a brass fuse installed. Baked it for an hour at 350 so I could ensure it was thoroughly dry before treating the iron body with Gempler's rust converter. I wiped any rust converter I got on the brass fuse off as it wanted to turn it dark which I did not want.
    2. I bought the microcrystalline wax in blocks off Ebay.

I just used Gempler's for the first time and after two coats still had some brown bleed through on some surface areas. The items had been thoroughly cleaned and only had flash rust on them so I'm a bit confused on why the bleed through. I was debating on applying a third coat of Gemplers but brushed some Ospho on the areas in question instead. Doing that immediately converted the bleed through. It did turn the Gemplers to a grayish color and some areas white, but I had already planned on spray painting with a semigloss black to seal anyway.

I think that with the remainder of the frags I have to do, I am going to seal them with microcrystalline wax instead of a rust converter since I would rather have them dark grey in color instead of black.

The tough thing with very thin iron such as the tongues on the buckle is how much useable iron is left inside. In some situations you may not have any left so be very careful when using the dremel and I would not leave it in the Evaporust for very long for that reason. You just want to stabilize the tongues from further deterioration.

Here is a pic of the batch showing bleed through after 2 coats. The section of rail was treated with microcrystalline wax instead of Gemplers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gemplers.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	1412787
    Last edited by Dug; Feb 10, 2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: add
    Wildcat1750 likes this.
    Cleaning up the country side, one shotgun shell at a time.

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1810 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    After some debating I opted to clean up the Knee Buckle that I found last Sunday by first soaking in Evapo Rust for 24 hours (I didn't read Dug's warning about not leaving it in too long until I was at work after having soaked it over night, but fortunately it turned out OK), then carefully removing the rust with a pick and my Dremel Tool. In between sessions I dipped the buckle in Evapo Rust and let it dry, to keep it stable.

decided on the Rust Converter option because I was nervous about baking the piece, plus I already had Rust Converter an felt I had more control applying it with a tooth piece on a cool metal object. The tongue turned black, as predicted, but it's not a bad look in this case and will stop the tongue from crumbling away, which is my main objective.

For comparison I have included a photo of my intact knee buckle along side a larger but incomplete example that I found a few years ago.

Thanks, BuckleBoy and Dug for your very helpful advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9591 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	380.0 KB 
ID:	1413900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9590 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	443.3 KB 
ID:	1413901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9765 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	775.7 KB 
ID:	1413905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9766 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	864.5 KB 
ID:	1413906  
    Dug and BuckleBoy like this.

8 Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it?
    9 And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!’ - Luke 15:8-9

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    761 times
    Relic Hunting
    You did a good job, that came out really nice!
    Wildcat1750 likes this.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    761 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thought I would post a side by side of two methods of sealing the iron. The one on the left was heat dried and then after it cooled off treated with Ospho. Then after it dried was heated in order to take on microcrystalline wax. The one on the right was heat dried then coated with Gemplers twice. After the Gemplers had dried for 48 hours it was coated with rustoleum semi gloss black spray paint.

I prefer the appearance of the microcrystalline wax treatment.

Name:	frag..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1414963
    Wildcat1750 and BuckleBoy like this.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    761 times
    Relic Hunting
    As an experiment I left this small buckle in evaporust for a week. It did no harm to the brass patina. It did leave a yellowish coating that I was able to remove using dremel with a brass wire brush on low rpm with light passes. I heated the buckle up with a torch to dry out the tongue since I don't think there is much metal inside and then applied microcrystalline wax to the buckle. I did darken the brass patina on the tongues crossbar with the torch as seen in the pic so be careful when heating brass patina. Only time will tell if I did enough to halt the oxidation of the tongue.

Just my mad scientist results that I thought I would pass along.

Name:	evapo..jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	1414977

Name:	evapo1..jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	1414978
    Wildcat1750 and BuckleBoy like this.

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1810 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Thought I would post a side by side of two methods of sealing the iron. The one on the left was heat dried and then after it cooled off treated with Ospho. Then after it dried was heated in order to take on microcrystalline wax. The one on the right was heat dried then coated with Gemplers twice. After the Gemplers had dried for 48 hours it was coated with rustoleum semi gloss black spray paint.

I prefer the appearance of the microcrystalline wax treatment.

Name:	frag..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1414963
    Nice job! I prefer the appearance of the microcrystalline wax treatment, as well.
    Dug likes this.

8 Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it?
    9 And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!’ - Luke 15:8-9

us
    Sep 2016
    Southern Arizona
    Minelab Equinox 800,XP ORX
    94 times
    I buy and sell a lot of vintage garden tractors, many of the parts are extremely rusted, especially the bolts, and any chrome.many of the parts look as bad as the ones in your photo's. I have found the best method for me is to first use vinegar, then I put the parts in a vibrator tumbler made out of a 5 gallon. bucket, the parts are as good as new after 8 hours in the tumbler.
    Dug likes this.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    761 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bc5391 View Post
    I buy and sell a lot of vintage garden tractors, many of the parts are extremely rusted, especially the bolts, and any chrome.many of the parts look as bad as the ones in your photo's. I have found the best method for me is to first use vinegar, then I put the parts in a vibrator tumbler made out of a 5 gallon. bucket, the parts are as good as new after 8 hours in the tumbler.
    Wonder if you can kill two birds with one stone by tumbling with vinegar or would there be too much gas buildup?

You build the tumbler? Would like to see pics of it.

us
    Sep 2016
    Southern Arizona
    Minelab Equinox 800,XP ORX
    94 times
    I've never tried that, I just let the vinegar remove the heaver deposits, the tumbler seems to bring the parts to a dull luster, which can be painted, or a wax finish.
    BuckleBoy likes this.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    761 times
    Relic Hunting
    Food for thought with iron.

Recently I dug up some large chunks of iron, and being a courteous digger hauled them out of the field. What caught my attention was how very little rust had developed on these items. The items do have a the tell tale sign of having been exposed to high heat while being rusty leaving a reddish staining not to be confused with red paint as it was not. Some areas of the iron did have rust underway but it was area of where the items had been broken up exposing raw metal. This makes me wonder if once rust is exposed to a very high heat converting it to a reddish color if somehow it becomes resistant to going back to an active state? This would be another reason to consider baking the item to a higher temperature in my thought processes.

Here is a pic of the iron pieces. Not sure what they are as I initially thought they were some sort of plow system, but it has been suggested that they may be part of a forge. They came out of a very rural late 1800s site.

Name:	iron..jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	1419788
    Wildcat1750 likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links