Need help with cleaning of Clad Coins, Tokens, Etc.

rocketman

Jun 23, 2009
I just bought a coin tumbler and successfully cleaned pennies, nickles and dimes. I have a dual tumbler and did the pennies seperate and the nickels/dimes/quarters together. I've heard horror stories of mixing silver with copper, etc. Is there a reference for what metals can be cleaned together?? Some coins have copper/manganese or copper nickel, etc. I understand you don't tumble silver with copper. What do you do with tokens??? Foreign coins?? I guess a Foreign Coin book would indicate coin metal makeup. It might be easier knowing what NOT to mix? Any help, ideas, reference would be appreciated. Thanks, Rich

Alabaster

Jan 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Ace 350
I use a rock tumbler myself. I've had decent results using small aquarium rocks along with the clad coins. I'm still experimenting with different mixtures, but right now I typically just add warm water and a dash of window cleaner (e.g. Windex). I'll let it run for 12-24 hours before checking on the coins. I've been getting mixed results and sometimes find it almost impossible to remove the brown/orange film from the surface of the dimes and quarters. Haven't tried the tumbler to clean tokens or other non-valuables.

Would love to hear what others suggest...

(Edit) - Just noticed a post by "cosmic" who had good results using dryer lint. Might give this a try... Link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,369452.0.html

(Edit #2) - Tried adding what little dryer lint I had into the tumbler, but didn't notice any noteworthy difference. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions