Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    Florida- Somewhere in the middle
    MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Tarnex and Silver

Of course I know the Nusimatists rule on coin cleaning, but what about Tarnex??
    From what I understand, it simply turns the Silver Oxide back into silver.. Has worked great on som slightly toned or blackened earrings I have found, and under my 30x loop, I can't see any difference or pits, etc., in them afterword... Also works fantastic on Sterling stuff my wife has (silverware) as long as it is thin tarnish.. So why not on a coin that has just that ugly black tarnish, of course not talking about a beautiful old patina or rainbow color, I love that on an old coin..

Thoughts?
    You never think you need an extra machine, until the one you have breaks down...

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    72 times
    If you have an article with any value or is plated, DON'T USE TARNEX!!!!!!! Tarnex does remove some silver. If you have an item that is flash plated or a really thin plate, it'll remove the plating. A better way to go is to use baking soda. The well known method of taking a glass or platic container putting a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom. Placing the silver on the foil & adding boiling water mixed with baking soda works excellent. For silver pieces I get most of the time I use a paste of baking soda on my finger to clean the tarnish. Make the paste a little runnier than tooth paste. Baking soda wont scratch or eat the plating off. I just restored a chainmale "flappers purse" The plating was so worn if I had dunked it in tarnex, it'd be shot. As it stands a quick touch up in two places with the pen plater & it'll be good as new.

The big minus is..... If you use it on a silver coin anyone with little or no expertise can tell it's been cleaned.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

Apr 2012
    1 times
    Very hood to know thanks for the tip!

Charter Member

Jun 2012
    77 times
    Yes I agree baking soda is nice and cheap and works great! It will shine it right up if you rub it for not that long
    Get paid for taking surveys and doing offers, I've been paid almost $150 so far!
    http://www.cashcrate.com/3693474/15

Charter Member

Jun 2012
    77 times
    You don't need to do the boiling water and stuff just rub it on and rinse makes a huge difference
    Get paid for taking surveys and doing offers, I've been paid almost $150 so far!

us
    Oct 2011
    penn state
    ace 150, flea market digger
    355 times
    baking soda does make micro scratches

Charter Member

Jun 2012
    77 times
    O I didn't know that thank you.

us
    Oct 2011
    penn state
    ace 150, flea market digger
    355 times
    no problem but it will shine a coin up quickly i just won't use on silver or key date coppers best thing to do just rinse dirt off an pat dry coins an leave as is,, happy huntinn
    Quote Originally Posted by silversnacher View Post
    O I didn't know that thank you.

Sponsors