Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I know the Nusimatists rule on coin cleaning, but what about Tarnex??
From what I understand, it simply turns the Silver Oxide back into silver.. Has worked great on som slightly toned or blackened earrings I have found, and under my 30x loop, I can't see any difference or pits, etc., in them afterword... Also works fantastic on Sterling stuff my wife has (silverware) as long as it is thin tarnish.. So why not on a coin that has just that ugly black tarnish, of course not talking about a beautiful old patina or rainbow color, I love that on an old coin..

Thoughts?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have an article with any value or is plated, DON'T USE TARNEX!!!!!!! Tarnex does remove some silver. If you have an item that is flash plated or a really thin plate, it'll remove the plating. A better way to go is to use baking soda. The well known method of taking a glass or platic container putting a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom. Placing the silver on the foil & adding boiling water mixed with baking soda works excellent. For silver pieces I get most of the time I use a paste of baking soda on my finger to clean the tarnish. Make the paste a little runnier than tooth paste. Baking soda wont scratch or eat the plating off. I just restored a chainmale "flappers purse" The plating was so worn if I had dunked it in tarnex, it'd be shot. As it stands a quick touch up in two places with the pen plater & it'll be good as new.

The big minus is..... If you use it on a silver coin anyone with little or no expertise can tell it's been cleaned.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree baking soda is nice and cheap and works great! It will shine it right up if you rub it for not that long

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need to do the boiling water and stuff just rub it on and rinse makes a huge difference

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baking soda does make micro scratches

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no problem but it will shine a coin up quickly i just won't use on silver or key date coppers best thing to do just rinse dirt off an pat dry coins an leave as is,, happy huntinn
O I didn't know that thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread