Preserving iron?

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mark, here's the gouge I've heard. First, after cleaning it bake it in the oven on low for 30-60 minutes, this is to remove all moisture still in the piece. I've tried this but still seem to get some surface rust during the process. Once the moisture is removed coat with a product called "Briwax". You can order it from Amoazon. Others have stated they coat their pieces with criscoe and then bake it in. Either one will seep into the pores of your piece and help preserve.

A whole new method of cleaning I just learned of is to heat the iron in fire until it is as red as the coals. Let it heat for 15-20 minutes then remove and place in used motor oil. The rust will come off as slime and the oil will penetrate and preserve. The gentleman that runs the incredible While Oak Museum in Fredericksburg told me this is how he has preserved the majority of the relics in the museum and the results are amazing. I will try this method next but only on a horse shoe as I don't want to mess up a good piece on my first attempt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread