Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Cleaning a Relic Video

Pretty cool MB.....I actually saw the wole video ;D Good idea with the pic's and ID process...I throw away thing's form Antietam that might be from the year,could be horse drawn artillery tack....never know without knowing what it look's like!Good point....Thank's

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

civilman1 said:
Pretty cool MB.....I actually saw the wole video ;D Good idea with the pic's and ID process...I throw away thing's form Antietam that might be from the year,could be horse drawn artillery tack....never know without knowing what it look's like!Good point....Thank's

You watched the whole thing? You're a patient person.

I'll try again and see if I can make it all the way through.

Badger

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MB....I'm 45 yr's old......Started fishing when I was 7....You either have it or you don't!!!!! ;)

T

TreasureTales

That was a great video!! I liked how you showed the closeup of the photo with the horse harness hardware and then showed one of the relics you dug up that matches what is shown in the photo. And the electrolysis setup was fascinating. What does the axhead look like after it's cleaned? Will you post a follow-up video or photo? PLEASE!!!

Those big wheels are really something, aren't they? I understand that part of their use was to make dragging the logs out of the woods easier by being big enough to roll over some of the small downed trees. The bigger the wheels, the easier to roll over rocks, stumps, etc. Is that what you've heard, too?

My favorite MDing sites are old lumber camps and mining camps, which I lump together as "ghost towns." The history, the ability to hold in your hand some tool or coin that an old-timer held in his. Hunting those places is such a cool way to connect, literally, with those long-gone but not forgotten folks.

If you do any more videos on this topic, please post a link again. I truly enjoyed viewing it!! Thanks.

T

TreasureTales

PS, when I first read the thread title ("Cleaning a Relic Video), I initially thought you were actually cleaning an old video!!!! As a result, I almost didn't venture into this thread. Now I'm certainly glad I did, but the title was a little misleading for me!!!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

TreasureTales said:
That was a great video!! I liked how you showed the closeup of the photo with the horse harness hardware and then showed one of the relics you dug up that matches what is shown in the photo. And the electrolysis setup was fascinating. What does the axhead look like after it's cleaned? Will you post a follow-up video or photo? PLEASE!!!

Those big wheels are really something, aren't they? I understand that part of their use was to make dragging the logs out of the woods easier by being big enough to roll over some of the small downed trees. The bigger the wheels, the easier to roll over rocks, stumps, etc. Is that what you've heard, too?

My favorite MDing sites are old lumber camps and mining camps, which I lump together as "ghost towns." The history, the ability to hold in your hand some tool or coin that an old-timer held in his. Hunting those places is such a cool way to connect, literally, with those long-gone but not forgotten folks.

If you do any more videos on this topic, please post a link again. I truly enjoyed viewing it!! Thanks.

Thanks for all the good words. I enjoy doing these and too I hope to promote more of a sense of the appreciation of history.

I've been into this hobby for nearly 40 years and have passed through all the different stages. Like most I started obsessed by coins and then jewelry, etc. I just wanted more and more of the same thing and it all sat in boxes and drawers. Now I like to think I've gained a better perspective of what the hobby is really all about. Touching the past by understanding those who worked so hard to build this country in the first place.

I still like digging the coins and jewelry as a sort of special extra surprise while digging the relics. Usually if I find a coin at one of these old sites (rare) it's usually a very good one.

Anyway, as for your questions:

1) I didn't show the whole cleaning process because I ran out of time. I only have 10 minutes max on YouTube. As you can tell the whole thing was very unrehearsed and unpretentious. This is because I have little time to play with this right now. I just have to jump into it and post. Later when business slows some I'll do a little more professional job (maybe). Also, I'll try to remember to tape the final cleaning process of the axe head and post it.

2) Yes, you're right about the big wheels. Actually a lot about how they did things is not known today. Much of this has been lost. They were a very practical hard-working people. Some of the hardest workers were the women who did the cooking and many other jobs at the base camp. I found a nice pearl heart pendant at one of my camps this past summer. Some camps also had children present. I learned this by what I've found over the years.

I have tons of stuff I could cover and if the YouTube thing keeps going and I get some hits maybe I'll do a dozen "shows" or more. But, one never knows what will happen with these types of things.

Best to you.

Badger

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: SEE my New LUMBER CAMP Video - YouTube

very cool video badge! ;) i especially liked how you "carefully" measured that baking soda!! ;D you tube is kind of addicting isnt it. i really did enjoy watching the video and i also hung in there until the end! ;D really cool post!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: SEE my New LUMBER CAMP Video - YouTube

Check out the new video!

And too, remember, if ya get bored you can aways move the listening bar ahead on the YouTube player. That's what I do. ;)

Thanks!

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread