fishing reel

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this Hawthorn fishing reel sold by Montgomery Ward. cant seem to find a model number on it nor can find a manufacture date on the web tho. anyways, id like to try restoring it to give me some practice in case i ever come across a more expensive one. i have no idea how i would go about this. i do believe that electrolysis would chip the paint off and i do not have an ultrasonic cleaning tank. probably too rusted on the spool itself to do much with, but like i said, its for practice and i just enjoy the work of restoration. any guidance would be much appreciated. fishing reel 001.JPG fishing reel 002.JPG fishing reel 003.JPG fishing reel 005.JPG

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Never worked on one that ruff.
Gun smithing or hollow ground screw drivers important not to damage screws. Transmission fluid(will remove paint!) Or your preferred penetrating oil,can unfreeze a stuck screw by soaking it repeatedly,(once a day 2or3 days) wiping off excess. Spool,line guide gears, and reel foot look like electro candidates. there are claims on restoration on this forum of molasses to clean metal (to metal). If plating lost, light oil should prevent further corrosion.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I would disassemble the reel and sandblast the spool and foot. You can purchase a small handheld unit that only does about an inch diameter spot. These are handheld, look like a spraygun, with a quart capacity. The remaining parts could be soaked in a mixture of baking soda and vinegar to make the rest of the crud easier to remove with a toothbrush. The paint may or may not come off, but if it does, you can always respray it. Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread