WARNING! APPLE CIDER VINEGAR "May remove patina"

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ,Over the past 2 days let the iron chain portion of a Mexican style spur I dug last year and today when I took the spur out of the vinegar & started brushing the chain w/ toothbrush I noticed where I was holding the spur and where the t-brush was touching the strap slots & stud the dark black patina was coming off and the copper color was showing through:icon_scratch: Very angry with myself should have left it alone. Why ? While the vinegar treatment took only about 80% of the rust off ' prob should have let it sit longer, glad I did not. Or maybe it was the fact that it is made of copper not brass also I should have known what metal it was made of for it had dark black like patina not greenish like my Mod 1859 from the same site.:BangHead: But I would think it would not matter. Could have been worse had I submerged the whole spur ,I suppose over time the spur will begin to darken/ tarnish on its own or I can try one of those radical chemical treatments to re-patina the portion it was removed from but ill say F* .Forget that 4 now. Ill use the vinegar deal on axe heads and the like. Just want everyone to be wary , when one chooses to clean a nice relic it may not turn out the way you want. LIVE & LEARN . GOOD LUCK HUNTING TO ALL. P.S. All can see the before pics on this C&R Forum under updated pics of Mexican Spur by Davers..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread