Rotary Drum vs Vibrator Tumbler for coin cleaning.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi :wave:

Re subject units, if you have used both types, which one did you like the best for overall performance when considering the following categories.

#1..How well it cleaned your coins.

#2..Shortest run time (while maintaining satisfactory cleaning results.).

#3..noise level in your opinion (Low, Moderate, High).

I realize there are many other factors that could be included for a full evaluation, but I was trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks for your help !

ToddB64

Last edited:

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would like to know this, also what about oscillating?....I'm making my own n want to b the best

Coin Gopher

Apr 22, 2013
I have a vibratory tumbler I use for reloading. I too would like to know if it will work and what media you use.

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,
I'm currently in the market for a tumbler system and had these exact same questions. Any other responses? My main concern is the noise factor as I live in an apartment building and don't want it to become an issue with the vibrating. Hard to tell the volume level over a video but seems like it would be the best buy.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is only my opinion, and cones from cleaning upwards to 50,000 rounds of brass cartidges yearly. The vibrating machine does a much finer, and gentiler job, if you are looking to remove a lot of material quickly, then the tumbler works better. I have grown to prefer the vibrator system because of the better, and cleaner job it does. Hope this helps, and good luck......HH.

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both rotary and vibe.. I tumble a lot of rocks and they can take months for a fine finish. Put the vibe on a rubber floormat and it really quiets things down. Both work well for me but I find the rotary to be noisier. I use walnut shell for coarse cleaning only.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a vibratumbler exclusively, (that all I have) but use it on all my clad. It cleans it to the point that you can tell the denomination and it is distinguishable and usually run it about 12 hrs. Twelve hours is usually enough but there have been times when I will let it run 24. I only do clad never any old coins or silver. I have tried all kinds of medium but have settled on non colored aquarium rock or even cheaper I usually use pea gravel. Works just great. Tried walnut hulls but did not like it and really didnt work well for clad. I use a small amount of water with some dish soap as my solution. Noise usually is not a problem because it is done in the garage. The only thing I think that could be a problem it is not secured it the walking possibility. I use several full coffee cans of bolts and nuts and set them around and have never had it walk off the work bench. Paid about $100 for mine and really like it.

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback guys. Think after the research I'll go with the vibrating type with (now, thanks FCCDFed) pea gravel. The walnut made them look great as per the vids though. Looking forward to the results. I'll just have a find a secluded spot in my building and warn my neighbors of any weird noise. ;) Thanks again :occasion14:

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Everyone for the great reports ! Sounds like the Vibrators are the way to go !

ToddB64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread