Cleaning common date cents

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all... I ain't posted much lately. Anyhow, I was digging through my shop and found an ammo can with perhaps 20 pounds of common wheaties and thirty pounds memorial, all prior '81. I'm thinking rock tumbler. I AIN'T gonna clean each by meticulious standards.... they are common. These were dug in Missouri 30+ years ago. I am solicitating ideas/formulas for something to use in a rock tumbler. The coins are encrusted with MO clay based soil, and many have the 'green crud' on them. Thanks in advance.
Robin

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since they've been sitting so long, that clay is about as hard as brick. I would dump them in the largest container I could find, spread them out and put about a cup of LIQUID DISHWASHING MACHINE soap on them then cover the coins in water for a few days. Give them a stir every now and then, perhaps changing out the soap and water a time or two. The soap will penetrate the clay and loosen it from the coins. You may not have to do anything else other than the green corroding issue. The liquid dishwashing soap is non corrosive and is designed to penetrate to the surface quickly. Very good cleaner. I've used in serveral time but not to the extreme as in your case of 30+ years of drying clay. It should help. And as an aside I use that detergent regularly to clean found coins and jewelry. I keep an old sport (water) bottle in the car. Before I go on a hunt I fill it half way with a teaspoon of dishwasher detergent and water. I put my finds in the bottle each hunt and they are usually clean by the time I get home. Won't take off corrosion but the dirt is gone, silver and gold are nice an clean.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread