Ultrasonic cleaners

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner for coins and or jewelry? I got a cheap one and used it to clean coins i find while metal detecting but it doesn't seem to do anything. I am wondering if its that i got a cheap cleaner and a better one would clean better or are they all useless for this?
Gerry

Use a rock tumbler with fish tank gravel. Put your coins & gravel in then fill with water until fully submerged. Then add a few drops of Dawn dish soap. Tumble for 24 hours & they will all look like new again!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had an ultrasonic cleaner, battery operated, and it didnt seem to do anything. Maybe only for cleaning glasses.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The types made for cleaning ammunition (reloading) are about the only ones that are worth using but overall, it is not always the best way to clean a coin. They are also expensive. I have heard that due to the fact that gold is such a soft metal, it is recommended that you clean a gold coin with this technique because any other technique that involves touching or rubbing a gold coin may ruin it.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

Ultrasonic cleaners are absolutly useless! They only remove a little bit of dirt wich can be done also with a toothbrush!

PS: This cleaners damage FOR SURE gilded pieces!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an expensive one used. It would do only a fair job cleaning my clad pennies with plain water. I used vinegar and would run about 100 pennies at a time for 30 minutes and it did a better job then scrubbing or just washing in water. I would end up having to run about 10 out of 100 again to get them real clean. Most of them came out clean enough that I wouldn't believed that they were buried at one point.

Overall, I find it much easier to do it this way then to do it manually, but I would have never paid $150 for my machine brand new.

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a rock tumbler with fish tank gravel. Put your coins & gravel in then fill with water until fully submerged. Then add a few drops of Dawn dish soap. Tumble for 24 hours & they will all look like new again!

How much fish tank gravel should you put in? And won't this scratch up the coins/jewelry, especially if it's gold? Can all coin types (copper, clad, silver) be cleaned this way? You may have been joking with this post and it may be completely obvious but I'm new to this section of the forum and am trying to build up knowledge of techniques that have worked for you guys for when I start finding some good stuff. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread