Cleaning coins

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i use a rock tumbler, love the way it cleans stuff up. a dash of dish washing soap and dash of comet. clad comes out great. I put some baking soda in the mix the other day and my tumbler damn near blew up, it expanded into a gas and popped the sides of the tumbler wheel out. clad was super clean though

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am looking at getting a heavy duty rock tumbler to use for cleaning the newer coins I find. I will use water, aquarium rocks or sand and dish soap. I am also thinking of getting a vibrator cleaner for the older coins. Anyone use either of these? It would be cheaper for me to clean the new coins with the tumbler than the vibrator.

I just ordered a 3 Lb. Rotary Rock Tumbler from Harbor Freight the total cost was 50 bucks includes shipping, I was cleaning clad and newer penny's with vinegar and salt by shaking them for about 10 minutes and rinsing with baking soda and water, after about a 1 1/2 month they all look as bad as the day I cleaned them.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never updated since my post, but i got two tumblers. One is the double barrel 6 pound tumbler and the second is the 5 pound vibrator one, got both of them on sale at harbor freight for a hundred bucks and change.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never updated since my post, but i got two tumblers. One is the double barrel 6 pound tumbler and the second is the 5 pound vibrator one, got both of them on sale at harbor freight for a hundred bucks and change.
Hi gerryk Have you tried both tumblers yet? Is their Quality any good ? & witch would you prefer the 6 lb er or the 5lb vibrator one? I am thinking about getting one of the single barrel tumblers, when I was in the store last week I just noted the single & double barrel styles. I think ill go with the single barrel style as all my hunts are land hunts and I have the time to tumble the coins I have dug in the past few years also i'm very lucky to live within walking distance from a harbor freight store. I just missed their parking lot sale but i'm sure with all their ads I can find a deal on one. I mainly just wanted to see if yours work well . Good luck Davers:thumbsup:

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danvers in all honesty, i havent used th vibrating one yet as I havent had much to clean and it is noisy. If your your not worried about damaging coins like slight wear from cleaning as in coins you will buy a cup of coffee with get the tumbler. The vibrating one needs to go out in the garage or in the basement. I would suggest getting the double barel as its only slightly more and you can tumble pennies in one and clad in the other so you dont get anything from pennies on the clad which will happen.

Also depending on how much you spend at harbor freight, you can get a membership card and on your first purchase get 20% off. That 20% off and the sale is the only reason i got both.

The tumbler is very quiet compared to our aquarium air pump and the vibrator rounds out the aquarium air pump. Hope that helps.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY Helpful thanks for the reply, did not know about the 20% membership discount . Thanks again.. Davers

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That discount is only good on the first purchase after you buy your membership. I purchased enough that the discount was double what the membership cost.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dbl tumbler from Harbour Freight has done me fine for the last few years...I add a little oil to the water and the metal never corrodes ( which happend to my buddies after a couple years)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread