mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope it's not the wrong info, but I have always used the denture cleaner tablets you drop in water & it desolves most grime away.

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Whites, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get a good bottle brush, and dawn, that helped me clean my bottles. Please send some pics! I love when I find old bottles

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh YES!!! Brushes and Dawn, and old bottles thrill me just as much as a silver dime. I've never sold anything I found. There's another story to that end, but let's enjoy the thrill of finding something we like, whether others' think it is valuable or not. One of my treasures was a drug bottle with label intact from a local druggist dated 1938 found in an old abandoned house - worth nothing, but a forever keeper.

We live for memories and little delights, and this hobby gives it to us :)

But this post was about cleaning bottles.....

Bottle brush and Dawn....

OP
OP
M

maxaviles1993

May 24, 2013
Lambsburg
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions i will try all of them and if i can i will try and post pics but they are not that old so i don't know

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, check the dollar store. I bought one to use on my radiators but it was too short. And then I was desperate to clean the bottles, and OMG!. I have a teeeny listerine bottle from the 30s that came with a cork back then. So I use all of my bottles to root plants as a decoration.

stretchmodel

Dec 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maxaviles1993 When I clean my bottles I use a piece of green scothbrite pad cut to size of bottle and use a wire coat hanger and bend it around the pad. I also use some cheap household cleaner called "the works" Hope this helps Jim

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a handful of BB's and some Dawn soap, swirl it around in a vortex ! Takes a minute. Cleans without the brush! Throw away the media when done. The denture tablets sound promising? I'll have to try that one!
HH

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Max, did you try any of our remedies?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,d just try many methods and find what works best.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use powder dish washing machine soap. Fill a bucket with warm water, enough to completely submerge the bottle(s). Add about 2 heaping tablespoons of detergent to the bucket of water and agitate until dissolved. Put your bottle(s) in this solution and let soak over night. Remove, rinse and repeat as necessary.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put them in the dishwasher.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't advise putting old bottles in the dishwasher, it can get too hot and violent in them. Soaking them in the detergent is best. I recommend the powder over liquid because the surfactant in powder form is stronger which is what loosens dirt between surfaces.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Put them in the dishwasher.

Please don't use the dishwasher on antique glass bottles. Pre 1940 glass that has been buried will often not survive the temperature extremes in modern dishwashers.

Cut copper wire (12-14 gauge,) a little water, with some Bar Keepers Friend, and some vigorous agitation works well for me as a simple cleaner. No amount of washing or scrubbing will remove the patination of glass sickness, or devitrification.

ac30942c-8d2e-4bca-bebb-9f6131a0e287_zpse9e0e6ac.jpg
23790dee-3503-42ea-8122-90e8ad483a4c_zpsa6c20c16.jpg

cc1bb322-24a0-4c57-bd0d-41ef40bf606b_zps4c5984e4.jpg

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are my bottles--an unknown, an old Dr Pepper, and old milk bottle, and a tiny Listerine bottle. I put plant cuttings in them :)

bottles.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions