Cleaning/preserving a old lock

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this old lock a few days ago. I would like suggestions on how to clean and preserve it. Would it be okay to soak in white vinegar? How is the best way to preserve the steel parts?

BTW, the lock is brass and the locking mechanism is steel.

P1000713.JPG P1000714.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old lock a few days ago. I would like suggestions on how to clean and preserve it. Would it be okay to soak in white vinegar? How is the best way to preserve the steel parts?

BTW, the lock is brass and the locking mechanism is steel.

View attachment 961366 View attachment 961367

Hmmmm no bites ..
I would like to see the results of what ever method you use.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cracked Spencer's?

I have several whole Spencer Cartridges & a few of them have Cracks in the cases from powder bursting through & other Reasons .

I would like to know the best way to seal the cracked cases , be it some sort of clear coat or Tung oil
or any other method.
Has anyone else sealed their Spencer's or Henry's or Burnside's ? & what was the best technique ?
Thanks Davers

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've cleaned brass locks with white vinegar and a toothbrush before, but I am not sure if it is the best way, but it brought the color back and cut the crude. I think that I will try preserving the steel parts like you do to cannon balls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread