Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have a couple coins that I found on a saltwater beach and both have this stubborn green substance on them. I do not want to damage the coins from a harsh cleaning method but then again I would tend to think there would be more eye appeal being lightly damaged and NO green crud vs encrusted with green and left alone. One coin is a 1944 Standing liberty half and the other is a 1922 peace dollar, so although they are very cool finds, they are not rare and valuable either so I am leaning toward at least trying to get this green crud off somehow. Any suggestions??

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biggest thing on silver is scratching it and you don't want to use something too harsh such as bleach or acid on it.

Light tarnish you can soak it a couple of weeks in a salt/baking soda solution and a folded piece of aluminum foil. It basically does a very weak electrolysis reaction that will lift some of the tarnish. It is sometimes hard to tell how well it works unless you take a before and after pictures. You will have to pull it out every day and clean it with a soft brush under water and then put it back in a clean solution. If the coins are valuable, this may diminish their worth a bit, because it removes a very thin layer from the surface of the coin. I've cleaned silver this way, but it will not make them sparkle and you can still see where the crude was at in some cases.

A number of folks beach hunt and they may have a more educated idea then me on how to clean your coins. I would wait for them to chime in before I would do anything. My suggestions are for ground coins.

Last edited:

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot.watter aluminum foil and baking soda. Cleans em up in a few minutes but takes away almost all numismatic value

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 silver quarters, a Merc, and some pennies and nickels in a hole once, and they all left really stubborn green on the silver. I soaked them in acetone for days, which did practically nothing. Someone on this forum suggested a soft pencil eraser, which worked really well at getting the green off of 2 of the coins, but essentially polished them a bit. They still look good, and show detail, but seem... "soft" if you know what I mean, not really sharp, but detailed. I'd like to hear how you go about it for future reference.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To remove sand crusted green silver coins, I use a mild lemon water solution. Squeeze 1 lemon wedge in 1/2 cup warm water and soak for 1 hour - overnight. Follow up with a light rub with baking soda paste try not to strip all the patina.
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread