How severe do rock tumblers damage coins?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a tumbler and gravel which is similar to aquarium gravel. I do not use dish detergent since it is harder to rinse out than a cap full of mister clean. I now take my tumbled clad to many vending machines and turn them into clean coins that I can then roll and deposit into my bank account without any hassle. I used the coin-star once and it rejected many coins that some vending machines would take. No more coinstar for me. Just think I might come across some silver coins out of the vending machines. Just today I exchanges $25 in quarters and $15 in dimes using 3 vending machines at the local Walmart. Once the vending machine begins to give me my discolored clad back, I move to the next one and continue.

You have a lot of free time on your hands, lol.

Good idea if you don't have a choice. I have a 3 lb coffee can full of clad and counting. It would take a lot of vending machines to convert his much.

I do the gravel and dish soap method in my tumbler. Takes about 45 minutes for about a pound of clad. I bet you could use borax detergent also. I use borax to tumble rocks along with the grit. Keeps the foaming down.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing about using the gravel and dish soap is, a longer time for clean up on your tumbler barrels. Another thing Pointman, try using Dove soap flakes for burnishing your rocks. I take a carpet knife and shave flakes off of the bar of soap and add about a tablespoon of flakes to 3 pounds of rock. Try it, it really shines up your finished rocks!! :thumbsup:
You have a lot of free time on your hands, lol.

Good idea if you don't have a choice. I have a 3 lb coffee can full of clad and counting. It would take a lot of vending machines to convert his much.

I do the gravel and dish soap method in my tumbler. Takes about 45 minutes for about a pound of clad. I bet you could use borax detergent also. I use borax to tumble rocks along with the grit. Keeps the foaming down.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a tumbler for a few things, some old relics, and harness buckles, ox knobs etc.
Some of those crusty unIDable pennys can turn into surprises, Ive got at least a couple of IHs out of the tumbler I did not know I had.

I like to add a table spoon of sand as well as the gravel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread