How severe do rock tumblers damage coins?

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am in the market for a tumbler since I have a pile of coins to clean. I have a couple questions... How bad does a tumbler tear up the coins? I mostly have clad and pennies, but some of them are so encrusted, I can't tell what they really are. It'd be a shame to damage an expensive coin! Second, what tumbler ingredients do you guys use to clean? Media and such?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the coins and the tumbling media. If you are only tumbling clad, don't worry about it. I tumble my clad with aquarium gravel and it doesn't hurt them at all.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not a big fan of the tumbling thing..why spend money to spend money?:icon_scratch: I would just roll them up, deposit into the bank, and let the CRH guys deal with them.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Amos Moses

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the coins and the tumbling media. If you are only tumbling clad, don't worry about it. I tumble my clad with aquarium gravel and it doesn't hurt them at all.

So just aquarium gravel and water? Do you put any dish washing detergent with it?

QUOTE="BigWaveDave;4025182"]not a big fan of the tumbling thing..why spend money to spend money?:icon_scratch: I would just roll them up, deposit into the bank, and let the CRH guys deal with them.:laughing7:[/QUOTE]

lol! Yeah, I've had my times with coin roll hunting, too. I've seen a more than a few pretty crappy quarters!

OP
OP
Amos Moses

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ Of course... Why wouldn't my quote work!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a big fan of the tumbling thing..why spend money to spend money?:icon_scratch: I would just roll them up, deposit into the bank, and let the CRH guys deal with them.:laughing7:

Because it's about getting coins de-crudded (I'm claiming inventing that word! :tongue3: ) enough so that they run through the coin counter without jambing and breaking it. Many banks (inclucing mine) will not take rolls or loose change in large amounts, you have to run it through the coin counter. If you become known as someone who constantly jambs up their expensive machine you will find yourself without a bank.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just aquarium gravel and water? Do you put any dish washing detergent with it?

Yeah, I put a few drops of detergent in too. Biggest thing is to not overfill it with coins or gravel. 1/2 full total is best. Too full and it starts taking longer and longer to get clean because it can't roll around enough. Also be sure to do the pennies and clad separate or you end up with pink clad. But even pink clad is still clean enough to spend!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 30 years I have not ever found a bank that would not accept rolls.... and I would guess the OP isn't planning on making 16 runs a week turning in his MD finds. I can GUARANTEE you that at the end of the year, I will take my dirty, crusty zinc and clad, deposit it, and pay for my Spring Training Season Tickets, and the bank will thank me for my business.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 30 years I have not ever found a bank that would not accept rolls.... and I would guess the OP isn't planning on making 16 runs a week turning in his MD finds. I can GUARANTEE you that at the end of the year, I will take my dirty, crusty zinc and clad, deposit it, and pay for my Spring Training Season Tickets, and the bank will thank me for my business.

Dave,I spent 4 hours of my day today arguing with my bank because they would not take my rolled clad I found this year. Two trips to my bank and one to another. Next week I pull my accounts and move to the other bank. Its too long a story, but other bank has no problem taking my (I didn't clean) clad. I have been at my bank for thirty some years!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it's about getting coins de-crudded (I'm claiming inventing that word! :tongue3: ) enough so that they run through the coin counter without jambing and breaking it. Many banks (inclucing mine) will not take rolls or loose change in large amounts, you have to run it through the coin counter. If you become known as someone who constantly jambs up their expensive machine you will find yourself without a bank.

Must be a new Jersey thing

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I think a bank that is a Fed bank has to take coins but not others like credit unions although I have no problem at mine. I know rolled coins are not necessary where there is a coin counter. Just bring in the sack-o-coins.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,I spent 4 hours of my day today arguing with my bank because they would not take my rolled clad I found this year. Two trips to my bank and one to another. Next week I pull my accounts and move to the other bank. Its too long a story, but other bank has no problem taking my (I didn't clean) clad. I have been at my bank for thirty some years!

sorry to hear that, sir.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used aquarium gravel and dish soap twice.....wasn't impressed. I tried Socaljim's recipe. Lemon juice and table salt. One tablespoon of salt to every 4-5 ounces of lemon juice. Tumble for 30-45 minutes....I tumbled for 35 minutes and WOW!! Coins turned out great and quick easy clean up of your tumbler!! 003.JPG :thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped caring how pretty the coins looked. I tumble them long enough to remove all the crud so they won't jamb up the bank's coin counter machine.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK guys...funny story, and I wasn't gonna bring this up....

Back at the end of the year I turned in my dug clad(without incident), then a month later my dad who has a thing for nickels bounces around to bank doing the crh thing, tells me about the roll of nickels that look like they were stored up ones backside....ha

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine were pretty nasty Jason....all I cared about also, was running them through the CoinStar at the Credit Union:thumbsup:
I stopped caring how pretty the coins looked. I tumble them long enough to remove all the crud so they won't jamb up the bank's coin counter machine.

historyncoins1

Feb 8, 2015
NW IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use some baking soda soap and water and let em tumble for a good 2-48 hours two hours is plenty but if you've got some real bad ones let en stay in their for a while and they don't really get damaged.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a tumbler and gravel which is similar to aquarium gravel. I do not use dish detergent since it is harder to rinse out than a cap full of mister clean. I now take my tumbled clad to many vending machines and turn them into clean coins that I can then roll and deposit into my bank account without any hassle. I used the coin-star once and it rejected many coins that some vending machines would take. No more coinstar for me. Just think I might come across some silver coins out of the vending machines. Just today I exchanges $25 in quarters and $15 in dimes using 3 vending machines at the local Walmart. Once the vending machine begins to give me my discolored clad back, I move to the next one and continue.

historyncoins1

Feb 8, 2015
NW IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a tumbler and gravel which is similar to aquarium gravel. I do not use dish detergent since it is harder to rinse out than a cap full of mister clean. I now take my tumbled clad to many vending machines and turn them into clean coins that I can then roll and deposit into my bank account without any hassle. I used the coin-star once and it rejected many coins that some vending machines would take. No more coinstar for me. Just think I might come across some silver coins out of the vending machines. Just today I exchanges $25 in quarters and $15 in dimes using 3 vending machines at the local Walmart. Once the vending machine begins to give me my discolored clad back, I move to the next one and continue.

Good idea

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions