blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading a thread on another website and someone asked which is the best to use and everyone said 100%olive oil and DON'T use 100% extra virgin Olive oil because it is a lot worse and takes longer to work is this true or a placebo

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bump

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of times people just say things and others repeat it until it's true. I'm sure you know extra virgin is just the first press and it's considered to have the best flavor. There are as many flavors of olive oil as there varieties of olives.
Can I ask what your using the oil for? Removing corrosion?

You could experiment and tell the results. Support or kill the theory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of times people just say things and others repeat it until it's true. I'm sure you know extra virgin is just the first press and it's considered to have the best flavor. There are as many flavors of olive oil as there varieties of olives.
Can I ask what your using the oil for? Removing corrosion?

You could experiment and tell the results. Support or kill the theory.

For corrosion on old coins I was just searching and came across a thread on friendly metal detecting forum s and that's where I heard it

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am of the opinion that olive oil, being a vegetable product, will have a certain amount of pH to it, higher or lower, and acidic qualities that may be less-kind to the coin. I would think that mineral oil, being inert, would be the best. Do any of you agree?

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else know or tested it

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Question

I've heard the opposite..
Extra Virgin Olive Oil is less Acidic & better so I hear.

I even bought a bottle a-while back labeled "Low Acidity" EVOO.

Hmmm...?????

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am of the opinion that olive oil, being a vegetable product, will have a certain amount of pH to it, higher or lower, and acidic qualities that may be less-kind to the coin. I would think that mineral oil, being inert, would be the best. Do any of you agree?

One would think .. Mineral Oil would be better?????

I have used both ' There have been Wheat's & an IH or 2 that I have let sit in a bottle for 3+ years With no extra Noticeable damage Done to the Coins.'
Also it did not seem to help ( after the first soaking of a week , the coins were scrubbed & looker better) but the very long soaking after did not help much if at all. Cause the Corrosion from the ground had done it Damage ' Pitting Mostly'

I have soaked coins in mineral oil also IMO . It seemed to help ' soaking times were 1-4 weeks.
but
For some reason the EV Olive Oil works better 'maybe it's just me'
& Works best For me If I let them soak a form 4 days to a month.

Nothing but a file will fix Deep Pitting..lol

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the debate rages on! I love it. I find this stuff interesting. I probably should have been a chemist - not the RV in the desert kind. :laughing7: For a non-chemist, I've actually had a lot of study on lubricants and adhesives through the various jobs I've had. Lots of self-study in order to solve problems attached to my work.

I love these type of debates because we're operating on conjecture, being how we've had stunning successes on each side of the fence. The big difference is that mineral oil is mineral, and olive oil is organic. Oils, both organic and petroleum, will evaporate and leave a varnish residue. What is in that varnish that you want on your coins?

Organic oils are in a constant state of decomposition, and petroleum oils are as well, but the petroleum (mineral) oils have already been processed by a million years of heat and pressure and their chemical composition has been transformed into longer molecular chains, which will break down less easily. The resulting varnish will most-likely last longer and act like a sealant. Not a bad deal.

It would also be unfair to not give credit to organic oils. Olive oil and linseed oil has been used in paintings that have lasted a thousand years. Oils used for varnish on million-dollar Stradivarius violins have certainly stood the test of time. It probably doesn't matter.

Use the one that works for your tastes, because none of us will live long enough to notice any change in the finished product. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use extra virgin, but we are cooking food not coins with it...[emoji12]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want the cheaper oil. They have to use heat to extract it which results in a more acidic oil. you WANT the acidic oil to do the cleaning, otherwise you just get a slippery coin.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
We may never know. I was watching a cooking show on PBS and the subject of olive oil came up. The host said the USA is a dumping ground for olive oil. Seems Europe has tough standards as to what can be called "extra virgin" and the US doesn't. So they dump their rejected oil on us and it gets labeled XV. There is sticker shock for the good stuff. Think $30 liter.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting .....hmmmm

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We may never know. I was watching a cooking show on PBS and the subject of olive oil came up. The host said the USA is a dumping ground for olive oil. Seems Europe has tough standards as to what can be called "extra virgin" and the US doesn't. So they dump their rejected oil on us and it gets labeled XV. There is sticker shock for the good stuff. Think $30 liter.

Hmmmm, that really muddies the waters then.

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a toasted two-cent piece soaking in olive oil (extra-virgin) for nearly a week - I'm going to give it another week or so before I try picking some of the crud off of it with a wooden toothpick. This is the first time I've tried the olive oil method.

Possibly stupid question: when I finally take the coin out, do I want to completely wash the olive oil off of it (eg, with soap and water), or do I want to just wipe it off and leave any remaining oil residue to "protect" the coin from moisture?

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been using mineral oil for a couple years now and am not getting all that great of results. I've read all kinds of good results people get from olive oil....so next week I'm becoming a convert. I'll be back later on with a little better informed decision on how it went. (Better informed on my part.) This forum has some of the best and most experienced people around. You guys amaze me every time I log on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread