Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I too have noticed that it makes all coins done this way look rusty and dull. Is there anything you can use to rub on the coin and make it kind of shiny again??

Someone suggested a little beeswax on the coin afterwards and it works pretty good.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Rub a lot of vaseline into the coin and let it sit overnight. The next day you can buff it to a nice luster and it looks great.

BB

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I tried this method, but the results were a bit mixed, probably because I used a single potato for multiple coins (the first time I had multiple wheaties to clean I only had one small potato in the house). They ended up looking kind of blotchy, with black stains.

Seeing these results, I've got to give it another try.

And remember, dudes, the potato goes in the FRONT of the Speedo.....

MP

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Ok, thought I'd try this just to see if it really works. Mixed reviews as seen in the pics. I found the 3 worst pennies i could find and experimented a bit. The first picture is after 20 hrs in potato number one, just a regular Idaho russett. I switched to a new potato and left them in for another 7hrs and the second photo is what i came out with. Doesn't seem to work very good if your coin has that greenish colored corrosion (patina?), the top coin turned out pretty good, and the other is just damaged beyond repair. Probably do some more trial and error with potatoes, H2O2, and a tumbler just to see what really works best for me. Take care all,

JW

Attachments

• trial 1.jpg
    trial 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,307
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,313

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a new one for me, I'll try it tonight.
CurbdiggerCarl

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Trying the method right now! If the potato cleans up this badly damaged coin to where i can read the date and see if its a wheat penny or the memorial cent then I am all set. I found a cent about 3-4 weeks ago metal detecting and Washington States soil really does a number on our memorials and wheaties that we cannot make out what it is half of the time. I am just hoping that this works. I have tried everything to get this coin cleaned up. If its a wheatie then I will definatly be going back to the field which I had hunted in before! :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
If you have a penny in that bad a shape you can use an SOS pad with lemon to lightly rub it to the point where you can see a date.

DO NOT do this on a potentially good coin because any value the coin may have as a collectible coin would probably be gone.

S

stefen

Re: Potato penny cleaning method.

pgill said:
Rub a Potato on your windsheild, it stops it misting up in fog and other bad weather ;D

God bless
Peter

So does wetted cigarette tobacco

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Potato penny cleaning method.

stefen said:
pgill said:
Rub a Potato on your windsheild, it stops it misting up in fog and other bad weather ;D

God bless
Peter

So does wetted cigarette tobacco

So does Armadillo Sweat. :D

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know your a redneck if.... You know what vegetables are good for around the house jobs.

Potato trick is a great trick, use the potato... Then do the 24 hour Vaseline method and the coins come out great. Works best on copper coins, its the starch in the potato that draws out the oxide and cleans the coin from the copper. It dries out the coins a lot but that's what the Vaseline is for.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Florin

Dec 7, 2008
Welland
Detector(s) used
nil
I have been collecting and finding coins, not like most of you using metal detectors.

I go to garage sales and annually our local Council has a hard rubbish collection which friends and I scrounge, for whatever we need at the time. You'd be surprised what people throw away. My best find so far is a 19" monitor which had a note on it saying it was in working condition. I have been using it almost every day since, which is just over 12 months. :)

Amongst the boxes of surprises from hard rubbish, I have found older coins including some in a similar condition to those featured in the pics for this particular topic.

As I live in Australia, we have some different potato varieties to those in the US.
The most common and the ones I mostly see at the supermarket and buy are Coliban... white skin/white inner, Desiree... red-pink/yellow and Red Pontiac... red/white.
Here is a link to our Aussie potato varieties. http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=212&Itemid=50
Plus, a pic of the 3 I mentioned.
Which potatoes would you recommend please?

Also re the actual coins... will only copper containing coins work... like the halfpenny (pron. hape-ney) & penny and the 1 & 2 cent coins?

Great forum with loads of interesting information. Thanks.

Attachments

• food potato varieties.jpg
    food potato varieties.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,986

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colorado Kidd said:
I saw this over on the cleaning forum. This method was posted by cryptodave and my thanks to him because I have been looking for a way to clean my Wheat cents. He said to put the pennies in a potato and I just had to try it. I left it in for 24 hours and the results speak for themselves. All I did was rinse it off and dry it. I'm putting it in for another day in a fresh potato to see what happens. Thanks again cryptodave.

Here is the same penny after 6 more hours. It didn't take 24.

Looks great! I would NOT try this on any coin which has a nice patina though, it looks like it removes it also!

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
you should've seen the look on my wife's face when she asked me if i needed anything from the store i told me and the guy's were going to need some more vaseline

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o If you are doing the penny in the potato thing, let your wife know they are NOT setting on the counter to be nuked for dinner. Then again, maybe you don't have a wife like mine. ;D
Where's Me Grog, Wench? :coffee2:

S

stefen

There's so many uses for vasoline...we put it on the doorknobs to keep the kids out of the bedroom....

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Thanks for this info. I have a lot of pennies to experiment on and I believe I also have some old potatoes that I was going to throw out. Can't wait to experiment. Plus I think I'll give the instant potatoes a shot at it while I at it.
Besides pennies from MD'ng I have a pile of pennies that were destroyed in a flood and many are rustede and stuck together in clumps. For those maybe I'll try an Instant Potatoe soup. I was just going to throw them out. But after reading these messages - it's time to experiment.
Thanks and HH
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread