Potato penny cleaning method. (updated)

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Re: Potato penny cleaning method.

gold fish said:
I've heard of a potato battery, could it be some sort of super light electrolysis ??
Can I wire up the penny/potato to run my detector? I figure if it puts out a half a volt, I could put 24 potatoes in line with 24 pennies and run without batteries.

And after I am done, French Fries!

Loonview

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Gaston County NC
Detector(s) used
Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Xterra Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some were asking about what type of potato to use. I heard white potatoes work the best. I have some russet and just grabbed a bag of whites from the store. Going to try it tonight and see if it makes a difference.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Before asking what potato to use better to ask what's in the potato that causes this reaction.
Long ago mercury amalgamated with gold were cooked in a potato to leach the mercury out.
Potato's are complicated. Along with electrolytic properties they also contain poisons like their
relatives deadly nightshade(Belladonna)
Better to find what causes the reaction with copper and what it's alloyed with. From here it
sounds like electrolysis.
Now if someone wants to buy some potato starch (potato flour) and test it alone I'd like to hear what happens.
Or belladonna or he other active potato ingredients. Then try slow electrolysis.

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tip...

Got about 2 dozen wheats in a potato now. We'll see how things look....

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tater treatment is old school, be aware not the best for nickels, turns them pumpkin orange if I recall correctly.

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
A sting, bug bite or a splinter.....grate potato and slap it on affected area, it will draw the item or venom out.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good news.... it worked pretty well.
E3D6B4FF-F32C-4065-B7B1-27DEA6CB51FB.jpeg
D6AA9BCF-B72B-4F54-96BC-EC1CD97CE039.jpeg

The bad news?.... I owe my wife a potato.:dontknow:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm soaking some Indian Head penny's in Olive Oil as I've heard about, to help remove some green crud from them, reason being last week found a 1908 S, (semi-key date) and wanted to be easy on it. Never heard of the potato thing before, I'm going to take one of them out of the oil and try it. Any other advice from you fella's out there?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I tried it, with an Indian head and a Chinese Cash coin for 25hrs. Really no difference. Did I buy a broken potato?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just put 3 of my crusty wheats in a potato to see for myself. I'll check back in with the results tomorrow.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just put 3 of my crusty wheats in a potato to see for myself. I'll check back in with the results tomorrow.

I'm thinking maybe I should have wrapped the potato with tin foil? The potato dried out, and there was basically no improvement in the condition of the 3 coins.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooooo.....after the potato try, I have a new GEMORO ultra sonic cleaner for jewelry, thought I'd give that a try, no difference, well, they are back in the olive oil, I don't know, turns them more black then anything else it's looking like, only been a few days, again, I really don't want to tumble them, although they are common dates for Indian Heads, except the ONE that is semi-key date, any better ideas floating around fella's, I know about lemon juice for some things, but I don't know that it would be copper friendly. I'm just happy that I have found the ones I have, and we can all go out and buy nice looking coins, but that's not what we do. The thrill is in FINDING them out there somewhere.

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and the copper adds a real nice flavor to the mashed potatoes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions