Potato penny cleaning method. (updated)

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
I saw this over on the cleaning forum. This method was posted by cryptodave and my thanks to him because I have been looking for a way to clean my Wheat cents. He said to put the pennies in a potato and I just had to try it. I left it in for 24 hours and the results speak for themselves. All I did was rinse it off and dry it. I'm putting it in for another day in a fresh potato to see what happens. Thanks again cryptodave.
foreanafter.jpg

Here is the same penny after 6 more hours. It didn't take 24.
pennyfinished.jpg

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Potato penny cleaning method.

Pretty impressive results! Who would have guessed a potato would clean a penny up like that?

Thanks for Sharing....

Night Stalker

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

I've heard of a potato battery, could it be some sort of super light electrolysis ??

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rub a Potato on your windsheild, it stops it misting up in fog and other bad weather ;D

God bless
Peter

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Cool, who would have thunk. Wonder how was it discovered? I'll bet somebody tried to hide a penny in a potato!

If you put one copper and one zinc penny in the same potato, you think it would make a battery, or is it an iron nail and a copper penny?

I know that lead and zinc have a galvanic reaction when immersed in acid. So, if you use a little vinegar as an acid with the potato...hmm, then you might as well through in some mayo... can you clean pennies with potato salad?

I seem to be wandering. Maybe, I'll just try the penny in the potato! Thanks for the tip.

Bluezman

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

I cannot take credit for putting the penny in a potato. I read it in a book and tried it myself. The results were pretty impressive, the harder part was trying to convince others to try it! :D

There is no electrical charge, no added ingredients... Just a potato. The starch is what eats away to crud.

I do not recommend this method on "fatties" though, especially early years such as 1859 and 1860.

papa

Sep 21, 2006

How would it work on steel penny's ???

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

pgill said:
Rub a Potato on your windsheild, it stops it misting up in fog and other bad weather ;D

God bless
Peter

cut one in half and rub it on your grill for a great natural nonstick surface.

(and sorry for hijacking here ::) )

Cgardner

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2007
the Steel pennies get clean but not quiet as clean... i have one that was covered with some black gunk that I am working on I will post sum pictures later if I can figure out how.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I wonder if the potato's cleaning effect increases when baked?

Like many who have gone prospecting for gold, I've used the "baked potato method" to remove mercury from an amalgam made up of mercury and gold. It works, but then you end up with starchy gold thats kind of messy, but easy enough to clean up.

F.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tried it on IH pennies, and some buffalos. It took the crud off really well, just don't leave 'em in too long or they start to look kinda "rusty".

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
18 hours(about), first time. The second time I left 'em in for 24, which may be a little long. Thats how they got all rusty looking. I also changed potatoes on the first batch about halfway thru, that seems to help some, too.

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
I had to try this so I took a corroded penny & put it in a (red) potato for 48 hours this morning & nada.

Perhaps it's the type of potato? I'm going shopping today so I'll get & try a regular brown potato... ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
gold fish said:
18 hours(about), first time. The second time I left 'em in for 24, which may be a little long. Thats how they got all rusty looking. I also changed potatoes on the first batch about halfway thru, that seems to help some, too.

Agree, don't over do it. Tried it once and it was
"OK"; but don't think I will keep using this method.
Seemed to produce some spots on the two IH's I tried it
on.

all have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was making dinner and had a thought... Yes instant potato works great also!!! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread