Hunters Haven-NC

Aug 28, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son took my detector out on his own last week and found a eagle breastplate on the riverbank along with a dropped mini. He brought the plate over and it was/is covered in dried dirt/mud mix. I've used warm water and a soft toothbrush so far to removed some of the dirt but don't know what to do from here. My eyes are crossed from reading so much so I'm just going to ask. How do I get the plate in pic 1 to look like the plate in pic 2 with a nice green patina? Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give.

pic1

pic2

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi HH-NC. I think I can help you a little. I have dug 2 breast plates myself. First thing to make note of is that no two relics are alike. Even something as minuet as a bullet can be completely different from the same exact bullet only inches away. The ground works in mysterious ways. Your plate is different in every way, shape, and form, from the one below it. The bottom plate looks to be non-dug or possibly a very early find from the 1960's. Some do come out of mud looking like that, but that is rare. I'll be honest, your plate will never look like that. Sorry that's just how it is. Your plate, however, is a beautiful piece. You should appreciate that it is 95% intact. All the details are very sharp and it is barely damaged, bent, worn, or with holes in the brass. In its self it is a "rare" piece, I am jealous. My 2 plates unfortunately didn't have as gracious owners as yours did.

When it comes to cleaning them, you must be very very careful. I only touch my plates with distilled water and Q tips. Sometimes I will use a soft toothbrush and dental picks if needed. Your plate looks clean enough to me. You don't want to over clean because you risk damaging it. It is ok to leave dirt and under clean than over clean. One of my plates I soaked in the distilled water and brushed and brushed until I was satisfied with it and the other I never even touched with water. I just picked most of the dirt off and it came out perfect although it is still covered in dirt. It wasn't worth damaging it.

All in all it is your relic and you can do whatever you want to it, but in my honest opinion that is a remarkable plate and I wouldn't do anything further to it. Buy a nice case, lock it up, and through the key away before you make a mistake on it. I think most diggers would support my opinion. If you have any questions let me know and I can show you a pic or 2 of my plates if you'd like, but you really do have a great piece. I hope you can see the rarity and beauty in it in the shape that it is in. Thanks.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Son found a VERY NICE plate Indeed.
Def, a different Variety than the one below.
I would also clean it as little as possible ,(Just try to get the loose'er dirt off its face).
I have never dug one so I don't have any Experience Cleaning/preserving them.
As ResurrectedVirginia said be careful not to Over Clean.
My Opinion
Davers

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing you can do now is stop. The plate is as good as it's going to get. Your plate will never look like the one in the photo because they were dug in two different locations, with different soil types and conditions. Nothing to be ashamed of. A plate is a plate, when it's intact and looks as good as the one you dug.

Congrats,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread