Cleaning

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently found my first civil war button at a sight of a small skirmish. I am soaking it in olive oil right now and taking it out every once in awhile and picking at it with a tooth pick. I was wondering if anyone ever tried using a water pick toothbrush to clean their finds and if it would be a good idea. I really don't want to ruin this button. It's just one of the plainer ones but I would love to see if it will clean up enough to read the back . Any help would be appreciated...... Thanks , David.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Curious .
What kind/type of button is it?

The answer to this Question , Would Dictate the type & Amount of cleaning Done.

If your like me .. Even a Common GS Button is a priceless find esp, when you know witch Skirmish it was 'likely' lost in.

Davers

OP
OP
hightonehunter

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to hunting civil war relics and all I can tell you at this point is it's a flat button with the shank still intact and still in the correct position. Has gold building in back with some writing on it. Can't make out anything on the front yet. This simple button has got me all excited about hunting for civil war relics. I had back surgery this past January and have spent my recovery time researching civil war skirmishes near me and am planning on talking to landowners for permission. One other thing thing button is about the size of a penny. ...... HH David

Last edited:

detectingdude

Greenie
Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the button has no gold gilt I just dry brush it with a toothbrush and slowly brush away the dirt, I'm not a big fan of water because it gives it that black/green look. You said it had some gold gilt on the back so what I would do is put some navel/aluminum jelly on the button and leave it on for a minuet or two then rinse and repeat Till it looks nice, then just put some soap/soapy water on the button to neutralize the acid. HH -James

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread