THIS is How to Clean BLACKENED Silver Coins

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Try if you can get some,
Cigarette ash, only!!!!!
It's a bit dirty to work with but,
My gramma saved all my grandads ashes when he smoked lol and used it to polish her silver, and I used it to polish a old silver spoon and, it worked really good!! it's not abrasive and won't scratch plus when done,
Use a microfibre cloth after to clean it off.

Hope it helps and let me know how it looks.

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Buckleboy-- I used this recipe per your advice--it worked very well. I even did the before and after pictures. When I figure out how to send pictures I will. the coin I used it on is an 1830 capped bust half dollar. I didnt know what year it was until I performed this process. Thanks again--

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Buckleboy-- I used this recipe per your advice--it worked very well. I even did the before and after pictures. When I figure out how to send pictures I will. the coin I used it on is an 1830 capped bust half dollar. I didnt know what year it was until I performed this process. Thanks again--

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm happy to see that this worked for you!

Cheers,

Buck

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image1[1].JPG image2[1].JPG

Here are a few dimes I tried this on .What went wrong ? Do I need to keep doing the process over and over ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The non stick side / dull side down the side that has more shine to it up . I put the coins on top of the baking soda put boiling water in and it fizzed like crazy and then let them sit for five minutes .It worked really good on the one . should I keep going ?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The non stick side / dull side down the side that has more shine to it up . I put the coins on top of the baking soda put boiling water in and it fizzed like crazy and then let them sit for five minutes .It worked really good on the one . should I keep going ?

why not try it longer. Not much to lose. I often rinse the. I've had to do multiple times before for stubborn tarnish.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave them another round and not much better . I think I am stuck with the way they are now .

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging up an old thread...

I see people mentioning using Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate). I've been reading a bunch of forums that suggest using Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) and not baking soda. You can get it in the laundry detergent aisle of your supermarket, or basically the same stuff is PH+, or PH increaser, available for swimming pools. Just don't get it on your skin.

I recently found a pretty big cache of coins, most between 1886 & 1945 with a few in the 1970s. 30+ Walking Liberty half dollars :happy3:, and I was researching how to clean them, but I think I'm going to check on their value first, before possibly ruining them by cleaning.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rotten egg smell? Great sounds like an out door project. Bletch

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that is correct, been using this method for years now. Although I wrapped the coin in the foil with baking soda. But pretty much the same method I guess. Works like a charm.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve used the aluminum foil cleaning method with some very good results. In fact, sometimes too good, and the coin comes out too clean and looks unnatural. I’ve posted these pictures and method in the past but I’ll throw them up here as well.

Here is a Barber dime that I dug up that was covered with a heavy black crud. (Unfortunately it was a semi-key date.)

View attachment 1504571

View attachment 1504572

Here it is after cleaning.

View attachment 1504573

View attachment 1504574

At this point though the coin was a bit too shiny for my liking. I wanted a more natural look to it, so I decided to artificially tone it to help bring out lettering and raised portions of the coin. I accomplished this by using an egg. The sulphur in an egg will darken silver.

I boiled and egg for 10 minutes and took it directly from the water and put it in a ziplock bag. I then crushed the egg, shell and all, in the bag. Using a small piece of paper towel, I wrapped the coin and placed it in the bag ensuring that it wasn't touching the egg. I zipped the bag closed and left it for about an hour and a half. This is what it looked like when I removed it from the bag.

View attachment 1504575

View attachment 1504576

At this point I sprinkled just a pinch of baking soda on each side of the coin and VERY lightly rubbed until I got the desired color. This was the end result which I was happy with.

View attachment 1504577

View attachment 1504578

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve used the aluminum foil cleaning method with some very good results. In fact, sometimes too good, and the coin comes out too clean and looks unnatural. I’ve posted these pictures and method in the past but I’ll throw them up here as well.

Here is a Barber dime that I dug up that was covered with a heavy black crud. (Unfortunately it was a semi-key date.)

View attachment 1504571

View attachment 1504572

Here it is after cleaning.

View attachment 1504573

View attachment 1504574

At this point though the coin was a bit too shiny for my liking. I wanted a more natural look to it, so I decided to artificially tone it to help bring out lettering and raised portions of the coin. I accomplished this by using an egg. The sulphur in an egg will darken silver.

I boiled and egg for 10 minutes and took it directly from the water and put it in a ziplock bag. I then crushed the egg, shell and all, in the bag. Using a small piece of paper towel, I wrapped the coin and placed it in the bag ensuring that it wasn't touching the egg. I zipped the bag closed and left it for about an hour and a half. This is what it looked like when I removed it from the bag.

View attachment 1504575

View attachment 1504576

At this point I sprinkled just a pinch of baking soda on each side of the coin and VERY lightly rubbed until I got the desired color. This was the end result which I was happy with.

View attachment 1504577

View attachment 1504578

something went wrong with your pic uploads

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s odd. I blame it on my four year old iPhone. I’ll try again and just upload the photos.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101546.516354.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101573.269250.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101598.386699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101618.516344.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101644.006241.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101675.857047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101699.796654.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508101721.523730.jpg

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been going through a lot of CRH halves, using this method. Works like a charm, although sometimes the coins must have multiple immersions. They come out CLEAN... no tarnish, no buff marks, no scratches, no pitting. I very satisfied with the results. Deos anyone know if the method will work with 40% Kennedys?

Thanks ~ Robin

Psubs579

Greenie
May 4, 2011
Can/should this method be performed on an 8 reale (shipwreck recovery coin from the Atocha)? I have one that has modern tarnishing (blackening) that I would like to clean-but-not-damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread