Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got time to get a few other items in the electrolysis tank after having that huge andiron cooking for several weeks. I actually purchased a 2nd battery charger so I could have 2 artifacts going at the same time so I could make better progress. I've finally caught up with things, and just finished cleaning up 2 colonial flat irons, a small hammer head, part of a small broad hoe, a couple of early hinges and a hasp. The hasp is identical to one I saw on a barn when my wife and I toured Mount Vernon last year. Anyway, this has helped pass the time a bit during this unprecedented cold and snowy spell that has kept me inside for way too long. Hope to get out soon and do some catching up before the season comes to a close, which isn't that far off.

Attachments

• 2015 iron.jpg
    2015 iron.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 258

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on those

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great job, it is amazing the difference it can make.

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. Wish I could get some of mine done. I got BUCKETS of axe heads and other tools, etc. that I want to get done. Mom won't let me do it inside and below freezing temps. don't agree either.

Do you use wax or sprays????

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those look great, what do you coat them in after cleaning

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great results Bill. That's what I should be doing during these cold months. I've got LOTS of old iron

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks great Bill. We should be doing that too but running bottles in our bottle tumbler has been our project as of late.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turned out nice!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill great job, I,m up a little early/late with the time change and all (still awaiting a 7.45 ish Sunrise that will now be 8.45 ish , but I can stay out later if the hunting is good.

I just fired up my electrolysis set up yesterday for the first time in almost 2 years???
I also got a Couple Flat Irons that need work, actually 1 as the other is holding together pretty well.
& Date to the Mid-Late 1800's.
Also have a couple of Spoons , iron buckles ,Good condition Ox & Horse Shoes From CW sites ( working those nail holes can be a pain). I'm sure I got a-lot of items I've forgot about. One hoe head like yours that I have not seen in a long time:icon_scratch:

My issue besides being a little Rusty, on my cleaning technique (pun intended) is Choosing Witch items to clean. Got plenty of old handles to pans, pot's at this time I think only the ones with the small loops on the ends [that show they were hand made] & those that have the 'look' are the only ones worthy of cleaning at this time.
Also got many 'what is it's ' that I want to cook for a day or so to better see what they might be.
(likely just old farm pieces).

One issue I had a few times before & yesterday was the Alligator Clips holding the relics was Dissolving away with the rust. I assume this is from using Clips that are of a Cheap Steele or the coating be it Zinc , Chrome ,Etc, has worn off.
Yesterday there was a Black/Grey jelly fish looking Foam coming to the top of my bucket.
I assume it was coming from the Clip or maybe the Electric tape on them + It had not been used in a couple years (the clip).
IYO would using a Better Quality Clip work better or maybe a Brass /Copper clip.
Thanks HH
Davers

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice restoration of American history!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neg,to the relic.
Daaaaa..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread