Electrolysis coin cleaning

historyncoins1

Feb 8, 2015
NW IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! I REPEAT DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! you will DAMAGE all coins by using electrosis

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go for it- it's not Curleys millions! when you connect up- if the relic isn't bubbling swap the wire around- use a paper clip if you dont have alligator clips DSC00783.JPG salt water and a 9v battery out of the smoke detector!

historyncoins1

Feb 8, 2015
NW IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks Mr.t I the picture wasn't loading for me so I didn't know what type it was.

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I've tried this it has never improved the coin. It just leaves shiney splodges and deep pits. Coin ruined.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! I REPEAT DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! you will DAMAGE all coins by using electrosis

Hmmmm, never even heard of the method. Now, electrolysis, that method can do great things when used properly.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I've tried this it has never improved the coin. It just leaves shiney splodges and deep pits. Coin ruined.

You have to understand the process, how to control it and what you are cleaning. Copper and bronze coins can be extremely damaged by their time in the ground. Electrolysis can remove that corrosion but it will show you the true state of the coin. You have to decide if you want a clean object or one that has the ghost of former detail in the corrosion layer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions