What is the best way to clean modern coins so they look shiny and new?

megamawax

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have a pile of modern world coins (maybe 400-500), and I'd like to make them look shiny and new. I plan on putting them in a treasure chest as part of a birthday present for my son, and I think they'd look cooler if they gleamed. I doubt that any of the coins are valuable (I purchased them in a fairly cheap lot), though they are different colors, so I presume they are made of different materials. Is there a good way to basically clean them all at once and get the result that I'm looking for? I don't want to be sitting there scrubbing each coin individually. I did try soaking them in a solution of white vinegar and Epsom salt, which did clean them some, but not to the degree that I was looking for. Though perhaps I didn't soak them long enough? I soaked them for about 30 min. I took a couple of the copper coins and rubbed some ketchup on them, which seemed to be much more effective in a shorter period of time, but then I had to do those coins one at a time, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I've heard of using a baking soda solution or a baking powder solution or possibly using hydrogen peroxide, but I have not tested any of those methods.

Thanks for the help!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A picture of their condition may help us.

OP
OP
M

megamawax

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture of their condition may help us.

SAM_9899b.jpg

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No doubt about it- a rock tumbler is the way to go for the silver coins.

An electric buffer/bench grinder with a buff wheel for the copper ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

megamawax

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt about it- a rock tumbler is the way to go for the silver coins.

An electric buffer/bench grinder with a buff wheel for the copper ones.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I own neither a rock tumbler nor an electric buffer/bench grinder. What would be the best way to go that's also cheap?

icyheart

Mar 8, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
lol el cheapo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a coin dealer told me to use dawn orig. dish soap and a soft brush don't use anything that could scratch the coin

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seriously, if it was me. I would just put the coins in as is, then just put a pile of gold foil chocolate coins on the top, plus some other blingy jewelry, toys etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take the discolored silver and run them through vending machines. Who knows, you might pull some silver. I use a rock tumbler for my dug clad. I only tumble for an hour and they do not clean up that well. You may want to buy some jewelry cleaner and let a portion soak as recommended on the instructions.

OP
OP
M

megamawax

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys think of this product for polishing up? Amazon.com - Wright's Brass Polish - Metal Polish

I could use icyheart's suggestion to clean whatever dirt and grime was left and maybe something like that brass polish to shine up coins until I felt as though my soul was leaving my body and I give up. Or do you think giving a long soak in vinegar would help (or would that hurt), or maybe I could try a long soak in some baking soda or baking powder mixed with water? Does anyone have experience doing that or think that either of those would be harmful?

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize that you don't want to clean each coin individually, as that would be an all day event. As others have said a mass cleaning system like a tumbler would be the easiest, but aside from the fact that you don't have one it wouldn't result in the coins getting that super shine that you may be looking for.

Depending on how big the chest is that you are going to put the coins in, you could consider hand polishing a few select coins and then put them on top, so when the chest is initially opened it will gleam.

Ok, I know that this isn't what you are really looking for, BUT if you do decide to shine up a few coins I suggest Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. A rotary tool like a Dremel with a buffing wheel attachment works the best, but you can just rub the coins using a rag and it will work.

Here is a before picture of a clad quarter and copper penny, and a couple of after pictures after about 3 minutes of polishing. Although your our coins are foreign, you should get similar results.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432158968.716657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432159008.702446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432159042.372372.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432159071.522089.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432159098.473406.jpg

OP
OP
M

megamawax

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOh, those are shiny. That's definitely how I want them to look. I was already contemplating your suggestion of doing some, but not all, of the coins and putting the shiny ones on top. Thanks for the product recommendation and the pictures. That helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread