120905-131531.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 155

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that how you found it or has it gone through electrolysis? I can't really tell by looking.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow. Are you afraid to touch it with bare hands? You are wearing gloves. It Aint gonna bite you. Just kidding.:thumbsup: Electrolysis all the way. It should clean up in a couple days at the most. I've had axe heads come clean after a long day of electrolysis. Forget apple cider vinegar. I've tried it and am not impressed at all with it. it takes too long and flash rusts afterwards.

OP
OP
J

jtermz

May 6, 2014
west suburbs of chicago(lombard)
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow. Are you afraid to touch it with bare hands? You are wearing gloves. It Aint gonna bite you. Just kidding.:thumbsup: Electrolysis all the way. It should clean up in a couple days at the most. I've had axe heads come clean after a long day of electrolysis. Forget apple cider vinegar. I've tried it and am not impressed at all with it. it takes too long and flash rusts afterwards.

I didnt want to have to go for a tetnis shot LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As he say's IMO.
Look's to have been found on or near the top of the ground or in water.???

I like Ax Heads They just take up more room & weigh a-lot & W/O much space they can be hard to Display.
I got about 4 that I have cleaned & Preserved & about 3 more to go .

I get them cleaned up then attach a tag saying when & where it was found.
But
Now they are just stored in a big yellow kitty Litter Tub. (a shame really, ) I hope to someday have the space to properly display Them.
In the last year ,I have started leaving the Broken Or cracked one's I dig . On site for those who may want them same with the old Plows & Such.
Sorry TMI.
Davers

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the method I use after trying for several years to find the best one that works for me: Knock off as much loose stuff as you can with a wire brush/water. Soak it in apple cider vinegar for a couple of days. Wire brush again. Soak in ACV again - repeat until the majority of rust is off. From the ACV, dip in fresh water to remove any acidic ACV and immediately towel dry, then use an old toothbrush to work in some 3 in 1 oil over the whole surface. This is necessary to prevent flash/surface rust to return. You can then use a smaller wire brush to remove any remaining rust, though I prefer to use a Dremel with brush attachment. Then work in another coat of 3 in 1 oil and let it set for a day. If no rust returns (and it won't if you have the oil worked in well), spray with 2-3 coats of satin polyurethane if you're going to display it. If you're going to actually use it, then just attach a new handle and oil it after every use. I've tried multiple methods and this one really works well. I've yet to have any rust return using this method.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want a shiny looking axe head just buy a new one. I like it the way you found it. All it's history.
If you want to stop the rust from falling off, spray some flat poly or lacquer on it.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you seal it with rust still on it, it will likely continue to rust. That's been my experience anyway. Each project is different though.

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with apple cider vinegar like "pa plateau hiker" says. I finally made my electrolysis machine just like this video from WOOD magazine and it works great. My 1800s axe head was the first in the "machine" (after a few test pieces) https://youtu.be/54ADeB6V1rQ

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the electrolysis machine easy to use

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread