Assistance needed for best battery charger brand name for electrolysis

VMI91

May 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings. I am just getting started treating iron relics with electrolysis, and I am having difficulty locating a battery charger that will work effectively. From earlier posts, I have read that modern car battery chargers can tell if it is not being used to charge a battery and will shut down. I am hoping that you all could provide me with the brands, makes, and voltage you have had success with so that I can locate one online. Thanks for your help.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First off, any voltage will work. but, the most common is 12V. The lower the voltage, the slower the process. On chargers, what you want is an older analog charger. The newer "smart" chargers will work, but you need a battery connected to them while using them for electrolytic cleaning. If you're only using a small container, you can use a wall-wart, also....anything from 3-12v will work. As for brands, I have an old "Century" brand model #87105 that works fine in that role.....no battery needed.
In effect, a charger is just a large wall wart, with some additional control circuits. But, the extra circuitry to do the auto controls is what makes the newer ones require a buffer battery in the circuit when using them for electrolysis.
Jim

OP
OP
V

VMI91

May 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, any voltage will work. but, the most common is 12V. The lower the voltage, the slower the process. On chargers, what you want is an older analog charger. The newer "smart" chargers will work, but you need a battery connected to them while using them for electrolytic cleaning. If you're only using a small container, you can use a wall-wart, also....anything from 3-12v will work. As for brands, I have an old "Century" brand model #87105 that works fine in that role.....no battery needed.
In effect, a charger is just a large wall wart, with some additional control circuits. But, the extra circuitry to do the auto controls is what makes the newer ones require a buffer battery in the circuit when using them for electrolysis.
Jim

Thanks Jim. That was very helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread