Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning your clad... Thumler's Tumbler and Jewelry Media

Had to purchase a new tumbler to clean my clad.The old tumbler bit the dust. So I bought a Thumler's Tumbler Model B for wet and dry media.

Its huge (can tumble 15 lbs) compared to the other tumbler I purchased when I started, I just didn't think I would be cleaning that much clad.

After doing some research I purchased some jewelry media(2lbs) from Amazon. Long story short, after cleaning some tokens (just media and tokens)

in the tumbler for approximately an hr,they turned out great. Nice and clean. Wow.. I am going to rinse my clad coins really well, drain and then add some lemon juice or vinegar

about 30mls (2 tablespoons) + j media and tumble.

From what I read it sounds like my clad should come out really clean.. I will keep you posted..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the post, I will be looking forward to what your clad looks like.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to purchase a new tumbler to clean my clad.The old tumbler bit the dust. So I bought a Thumler's Tumbler Model B for wet and dry media.

Its huge (can tumble 15 lbs) compared to the other tumbler I purchased when I started, I just didn't think I would be cleaning that much clad.

After doing some research I purchased some jewelry media(2lbs) from Amazon. Long story short, after cleaning some tokens (just media and tokens)

in the tumbler for approximately an hr,they turned out great. Nice and clean. Wow.. I am going to rinse my clad coins really well, drain and then add some lemon juice or vinegar

about 30mls (2 tablespoons) + j media and tumble.

From what I read it sounds like my clad should come out really clean.. I will keep you posted..

I am sure some know, but for the one's that don't. These are the same thing for reloading. I have a different model. You can pick up the stainless tumble media for a little cheaper then the jewelry media. I use Lemi-Shine Detergent which you can get at wally world (good for hard water) and a couple drops of dawn Blue! Cleans my shells to a bright finish! When I get enough clad I am going to do a tumble!

Great Post!

GL & HH!

OP
OP
Agent Green

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update for those looking to buy a tumbler.... here is another tumbler on the market... Extreme Tumbler Rebel 17..Tumblers - Reloading Products.. fyi

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's kinda pricey

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a dual drum tumbler for under $70. It works great on coins as long as you separate the pennies in one drum all other in the second drum. I use lemon juice and salt for 30 to 45 min. I did have to add some O-rings to the drive bar to raise the drums up a 1/4" to prevent the drums from unscrewing the lids while rolling.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a dual drum tumbler for under $70. It works great on coins as long as you separate the pennies in one drum all other in the second drum. I use lemon juice and salt for 30 to 45 min. I did have to add some O-rings to the drive bar to raise the drums up a 1/4" to prevent the drums from unscrewing the lids while rolling.

I just purchased the same dual drum tumbler from Harbor Freight, haven't used it yet, and was searching posts here to see what media I should use for tumbling clad. The manual states to not use sand. I picked up two tips here already; 1) Separate cents from all other. 2) Add some O-rings to drive bar to raise the drums.

Thanks for the great tips!

I'm still vague on the media to use. Also, do you add water to the mix?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions