Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Put some toilet bowl cleaner in with them. Lime away works good also. It should only take a few hours, and do not put pennies in with the clad or everything comes out reddish brown. Good luck. HH

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I tried adding vinegar to the water for clad coins, the vinegar made them turn dark. Then I changed the water and added a little ammonia and they came out a whole lot better, although not shiney and new looking. I bought the CHICAGO brand tumbler. It's built like a tank, but the belt broke after only 12 hours. Putting a new belt in is a real job, had to take it apart and do surgery on it so that it will be easier next time. It seems to take the same black rubber belt (looks like a big O ring) as found in sewing machine stores, they don't last long on sewing machines either.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Hey Goldencoin. Here's a pic of before and after coins. And all I use is just some toilet bowl cleaner, tumble for an hour or so, change the solution a couple of times. Tumble for 3-4 hours. And Wahlaa! Probably could get them even shinier but, Why?

Attachments

• cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 371

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use white vinegar and salt only ! Add just enough vinegar to cover your gravel and clad coins . Then three table spoons of salt . Run tumbler for one hour and then your ready to rinse off your coins . This has worked great for me and your clads turn out nice and clean ready to spend !

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I picked up a tumbler from harbor freight for $29.

I threw in dirty coins, aquarium gravel (blue) and a bit of palmolive dish soap, and just a bit of water. 3-4 hours later they were nice and clean.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I quoted this thread from this link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,60777.0.html
Besides pennies most of the times I just put dirty coins in the vending machines at work. Sometimes I tumble them. Here is my recipe:

I charge the tumbler vessel with one big handful of coins, 2 handfuls of white aquarium gravel, 1 handful of Pool Filter sand, 1 tablespoon of household ammonia, 1 teaspoon of dishwashing soap. Cover continence with water, close and tumbler for 2 to 3 hours. I posted a picture that shows how I use a net trash basket to catch the cleaned coins and a colander strainer to catch the gravel.

Notes:
Always tumble silver colored coins separately from pennies, never tumble key coins.
The sand I use is Pool Filter sand, it comes in a large bag, doesn't cost very much. It can be got from a hardware store, I got mine from Ace. Pool sand has a consistant grit/aggregate.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread