May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
This may be an odd question and I wasn't sure where to post it, but here it goes...

When using 2x2's, what is the preferred way to staple them shut? I've seen them stapled close to the center in a triangular pattern (parallel to the bottom but not to the sides) and I've also seen them stapled close to the top & side edges of the holder parallel to those edges.

Is one way preferred by collectors or does it not really matter?

Thanks.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if there is a preferred method of stapling.......I've seen several styles.
For quarters, nickles, dimes and cents, I use the parallel to the sides and bottom (as close to the coin as possible) method. For larger coins, I use the triangular method.
The staples protruding on the reverse side always bothered me, so I use a pair of needle nose pliers with no gripping ridges to flatten the staples. My understanding is that you can purchase a special stapler and staples to alleviate that issue.........:dontknow:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO
Staple them anyway you like , I'd not put Smaller Cents, Dimes in with larger Quarters, halves & esp, Dollars cause I'm afraid the staples on the smaller coins will scratch the larger Coins.

Also I used to use a Punch or Pliers to flatten the staples but there is always a chance for a slip of the tool & this may damage the coin .

I did purchase on of the Staplers a ('MAX' HD-50F) that makes the staples VERY Flat , it helps with stapling other papers & keeps one corner of stacked papers from being much thicker than the rest, Plus it uses Regular Staples.
www.maxusacorp.com.....imo It's worth the extra money.
D

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these 2x2 clear plastic coin pouch/holders called coin-flips. They have a little flap so you can take the coin out anytime to look at it. It fits into the standard binder the cardboard ones do.
Don't have to worry about staples anymore

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these 2x2 clear plastic coin pouch/holders called coin-flips. They have a little flap so you can take the coin out anytime to look at it. It fits into the standard binder the cardboard ones do.
Don't have to worry about staples anymore

But then how do you record the year/mint/denom/condition/etc if they're in a plastic flip? I also add location found if the coin is a notable metal detecting find.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if there is a preferred method of stapling.......I've seen several styles.
For quarters, nickles, dimes and cents, I use the parallel to the sides and bottom (as close to the coin as possible) method. For larger coins, I use the triangular method.
The staples protruding on the reverse side always bothered me, so I use a pair of needle nose pliers with no gripping ridges to flatten the staples. My understanding is that you can purchase a special stapler and staples to alleviate that issue.........:dontknow:

I do the same, especially with the needle nose pliers after stapling. I staple close to the coin because it tends to pull the plastic film tighter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread