Cleaning Copper coins?

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I need help.. I've found 3 large cent coins in past month one i can read the date on one and it cleaned up some what OK but the other two I just can't get remotely clean one was found on the shore of salty water the other inland.Iv'e tried the hot Peroxide no help, Iv'e tried baking soda/vinegar & olive oil.. no help.All tries seems to have made them worse? are there any other tricks to get them cleaner , but would like to know what the dates are on them its driving me nuts.

Thanks for any Help...

Last edited:

sovereign76

Aug 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do say dont do anything to them chemical wise to clean em

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you clean them too much you will damage them and nothing will be left to see.
If the hot peroxide doesn't work yoy have to give up.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper is really soft theres not too much to do your coins are most likely "toasted" . I've never been able to clean them without adverse effects. Now I just soak them in water for a few hours, gently rinse them, let them dry thoroughly and once any loose grit is off them I apply a light coating of Vaseline to keep them from further oxidization. I don't see how H202 would help. Oxidization is the enemy and the free oxygen molecules from the h202 from a chemical standpoint further damage your coin. I'll try it on some old coins as it sounds like its working for people but chemistry tells me otherwise.
I've been working on a water cleaning system. I place the coin on a pedestal in a bucket. Get a two liter and put a pin hole in the cap until it drips very slowly. Hang the two liter bottle from your shower or somewhere high where you won't make a mess accidentally (basement, garage). Aim the drip so it hits the coin consistently. The drips falling from a few feet will clean loose grit from the coin without damage from rubbing. In theory one would use distilled water as tap water has chlorine and other free radicals that interact with the coin but we are not talking valuable coins here. I am more environmental so I just pour the water back in the 2 liter and reuse it. Flip the coin and repeat. This is just me reinventing the wheel. Its slow so you set it up while you are out running errands or working.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread