• Cleaning & Preservation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Research/Techniques

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Admiral Jack

Greenie
Jan 1, 2007
Here're How To Clean An Encrusted Coin !

There is a new book out called, "Treasure Diving With Captain Dom". In the book it tells you how to clean the coins. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it talks about an electrolyte solution with the ratio parts to use. It seemed quite simple. I've tried it and it is amazing how the stuff just eats away the encrustations! :o

T

TreasureTales

Re: Here're How To Clean An Encrusted Coin !

Admiral Jack said:
There is a new book out called, "Treasure Diving With Captain Dom". In the book it tells you how to clean the coins. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it talks about an electrolyte solution with the ratio parts to use. It seemed quite simple. I've tried it and it is amazing how the stuff just eats away the crustations! :o

You mean to say your coins have crabs? ::) Thanks for the tip. And welcome to TreasureNet.

OP
OP
A

Admiral Jack

Greenie
Jan 1, 2007
Re: Here're How To Clean An Encrusted Coin !

Yes . . . encrustations. Thank you!

Here is a section out of the Treasure Diving book I was talking about; This excerpt is about cleaning sunken coins recovered from the ocean.

"For larger specimens, mechanical cleaning is often the best way. With a variety of hammers and chisels, the encrustation can be detached with little or no damage to the artifacts. For smaller objects, electrostatic reduction is more efficient and less destructive. An electrolyte solution with the ratio of 48:1 (water to any of the three electrolytes: salt, lemon juice, or soda ash) is used. A minor negative current is run through the artifact and the positive charge is placed and run through the solution. Stainless steel clips and anodes should only be used."

It take some time to actually clean them. It is like a science project - watching them magically come back to life. "The experiment" definitely needs to be in a well ventilated area.

There is a lot of good information on how to do this and that in the book. I hear that the author is publishing another version of the book only with more archival history information in it. You should pick one up.

Attachments

• cleaning coins.jpg
    cleaning coins.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 858

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread