Sunflower oil instead olive oil?

sky3

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, could i use refined sunflower oil instead olive oil? I want more expressive coin view. It may sound stupid, but i will not be able to get olive oil and i need bright coins now, i would soak for a day in sunflower oil. This is an example, after quick soaking in sunflower oil, a coin looks much better, but it will looks like this for long time? Did i damage patina?

IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1536.JPG

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaning anything after the crud is gone the patina is next. Patina is just oxidation and the most easily removed.
Any cleaning method one has to ask what's in the system that's doing the work then simplify it.
Most systems I've read here seem to be aimed at shiny results. Almost all deal with mild acids. Acids remove lots
of stuff. Different acids react differently although some times the same. Taking your time you might be able to stop
the reaction when you want.
Most liquids are either acidic, alkaline, or neutral. With crud knowing what it is helps in knowing what to use. That begins
with where it was found and what it was exposed to. I don't think there is a "one size fits all". JMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread