When Worcestershire Sauce doesn't work?

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So on my 2nd hunt outside the yard I found a 1899 V Nickel. I read and found that the consensus seems to think that the Worcestershire Sauce is the best way to remove the red tarnish on nickels. Well I've had mine in the Sauce for 14 hours now and it's barely shown any signs of improvement and those signs showed after the first 3 hours. I've tried a nylon bristle brush and no luck with it either. So what's the best next option? I don't plan on getting rid of this coin seeing as it's my first significant find and a non key date anyway so I just want it back grey/silver and legible for my viewing pleasure.

Here it is after 14 hours of the Sauce, rinsing, scrubbing, drying and more Sauce.
5e8f1dc1f7fcc42da4aaabaafab07ac0.jpg
d6e607cda50ba97ad476696ece39e6be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 18 hours it started working and within an hour I had this
398b0a3be70599bcb54b747174113a8f.jpg
0497c6b8e4e0a569a27af484e5923c63.jpg

Now I'm going to put it in some olive oil and hopefully everything will stand out just a little better. It's really in better shape than these pics show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use bar keepers friend. Few hours and some elbow grease and its done KIMG0105.jpg
KIMG0101.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaning anything one has to ID what it is they are trying to remove then determine if the method will damage what it is you'er trying to save. It's chemistry and knowing what will do what to what.
I would not take any advice that didn't address these concerns without the science. Too easy to ruin something.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaning anything one has to ID what it is they are trying to remove then determine if the method will damage what it is you'er trying to save. It's chemistry and knowing what will do what to what.
I would not take any advice that didn't address these concerns without the science. Too easy to ruin something.

Someone posted this. I haven't had time to go through it all but here ya go.

Illumin - A Chemical Engineer's Guide to Cleaning Just About Anything

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread