I screwed up and need some help with coin cleaning

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I read up on cleaning and believe I got mixed up on cleaning clad vs silver coins. I cleaned some clad coins using stainless pins media, vinegar, salt and lemon juice. They are now a copper/rose gold and clean as a whistle.

So how do I get them back Silver?

Why did they turn copper/rose gold?

And did I get confused like I think and the method I used is for SILVER coins only?

I've got the next batch in fish tank rocks, water and dish soap and waiting to see how they turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
A chemical reaction occurs... it's just like plating an item. The copper comes off of the copper cents, and plates onto the nickel skin of the clad coins (and the nickels, as obviously they are made of nickel). Dump that pink clad into the Coinstar and buy yourself something nice.

Dawn, aquarium gravel and water will clean the clad with no discoloration.

As for cleaning the silver... I did it when I started finding silver, but have mostly quit. It takes a long time for that patina to get on the coin. It's an old coin, it's supposed to look old. Just leave them in "as found" condition. There are some exceptions, but if you clean the silver coins, it reduces their appeal. They are only old looking once (think: survivor muscle car, never altered or tampered with, just aged).

I hope this helps.

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had good luck cleaning silver using Baking Soda and Aluminum Foil. Put the Aluminum Foil in the bottom of a bowl, and put enough really hot water in the bowl to mre than cover the coins or chain, whatever. Then sprinkle Baking Soda on the Aluminum Foil, and set Your silver item on the Foil, and work it down into the Baking Soda. Then sprinkle Baking Soda on top of Your silver item. Let them sit together for about 15 minutes, then rinse Your silver in hot water and Dry with a cloth. Repeat if necessary. This has worked for me, so You may as well try it on the items that are Rose Gold color now. Good Luck!

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's what I don't understand. I separated and only cleaned quarters, dimes and nickels separately. I didn't use the same container or media.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom's right about the reaction. There's still a copper core on clad ans Salt, vinegar and lemon juice will discolor them. Just put them in your tumbler with the pin media (or gravel) water and a drop of soap. You'll be surprised at how quick the clad cleans up. I typically just dump them uncleaned in a coinstar and any rejects I cant get through, I tumble. Ha. That really minimises the amount I have to tumble.

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So can I retumble these copper colored ones in soap, water and media to get them back silver color or is this reaction permanent?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be able to if you want.... They should clean up. But they'll go in a coinstar as is. So it's easier to just dump them and not mess with cleaning them perfectly.

Cleggy

Greenie
Jan 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used a small pin tapped to a cocktail stick to gently scrape off the crud, but do it ‘gently’ as Silver scratches easily.
You can buy the USB Microscope quite cheaply for around £20 (in the UK) : https://tinyurl.com/hrgpoqg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions