vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Noticed this is your first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_link.gif
2nd - I searched the net and the first hit was a product (D-Lead® Final Clean Pre-Mix) that removes lead from surfaces.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pics would help. Do you own a bottle brush? Without seeing there condition i'd soak them in a sink of hot soapy water and use the bottle brush to clean them. For harder stains you can throw in some salt and crushed ice and swirl it around for those that would not clean up using the bottle brush.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. Warm, soapy water in a plastic tub. Wear dishwashing gloves when handling or in the water. When you're done, just let the water sit for a couple of days to allow for all the sediment to settle. Then pour off most of the excess water. You may choose to do this several times to get as much water as possible. When you have most of the water out, scrape the material into a sealable plastic container, like an empty soda bottle or plastic coffee container, then dispose of.

As little material as you're looking at, the above instructions are still going a bit overboard in my opinion. Course, I was raised in a generation that did LOTS of horrible and dangerous things, yet like many, I still survived! :laughing7:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chewed on lead old sills window painted as child I was......and I pretty OK sure that alright I am.:laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I chewed on lead old sills window painted as child I was......and I pretty OK sure that alright I am.:laughing7:

Good grief! I read your post 3 times and those last 2 words kept coming out switched - as "am I"! :BangHead: Ok, now I'm startin' to worry!! :tongue3:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mix up a strong citric acid solution and let it soak. Brush it every once in awhile. You can order citric acid from Spices Incorporated in 1lb bags up to 50lb drums. Grab a handful of bottle brushes from the dollar store. Also works good for calcium deposits too.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lessee lead paint, a few pencil erasers, finger fulls of white paste (how else ya gonna make lunch stick to your ribs?), a few mouthfuls of dirt from swingset backflips, doin the just taste it test. Yup! you're good to go!!! and let's not forget sharing the cookie with the dog.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as you don't lick 'em clean, I would think you will be fine :thumbsup:

I'm sure I've dug over a thousand pieces of lead in my Life.
Can't say I've cleaned most of them.

am still able to type this Post :coffee2:
and have all my own fingers

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions