🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the snow here to stay for a while in New England my activities have turned to relic clean up. I am new at this and have only attempted rusted iron so far. Now it is time for brass…

A few weeks ago I found an interesting looking, but toasted, brass plate close to where I found an ox shoe and an antique fire place bellows nozzle. In addition to turning brown it had a crust on it that may have come from being in a fire.

First I soaked the piece in a paste made from lemon juice and salt. This removed the crust and turned the surface a yellowish color after much scrubbing with a denture brush. In the end I was left with a rather disagreeable mustard color with a gritty surface with the texture of fine sandpaper.

I carefully examined the surface for markings and found none. Next I buffed the surface with a wire wheel which brought back a nice metallic shine to it and then straightened the plate in a vice. I’m not sure yet if I should attempt this method on better brass relics but I like the results and the wire wheel did not seem to wear down any of the surface markings. :icon_thumright:

I’m still curious as to the purpose of this plate and what it might have been fastened to.

Should I apply anything to the surface now to preserve the shine?

Attachments

• 100_9545.JPG
    100_9545.JPG
    704.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_9770 - Copy.JPG
    100_9770 - Copy.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_9773 - Copy.JPG
    100_9773 - Copy.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 108

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks nice but don't do this to any valuable relics, like belt buckles or buttons

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice but don't do this to any valuable relics, like belt buckles or buttons
Good point, gsxraddict. My philosophy with the valuable relics has always been "less is more". :thumbsup:
This was a just a junk piece of brass that I was bored with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread