Electrolysis question

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm using a small electrolysis I used for coins and I did small iron in the past with it. I'm doing an iron buckle right now and the iron isn't bubbling but my alligator clip is.

Either I don't have enough juice flowing or do I have to drill and screw the buckle?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe switch the connections around & see what happens.

I have had similar issues , I have checked back on my 'cooking ' only to find my Alligator clip had fallen to nothing / decentrgraded .
Cheap Clips maybe? The Nickel or brass coating wore off them.
Try to use Copper or Brass clips if you can find them.

& Make sure u have a clean as possible connection ' Clip to Relic'.
GL

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
GS, rust is not a good conductor of electricity. I find if I don't have good contact with the iron, I will get excessive bubbling at the clip. I use a file to make sure I have some shiny metal for the alligator clip, or as you mention, I drill and insert a screw. I always use a screw for the bigger iron relics.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a dental pick on small pieces to flick off the rust flakes until you make a good contact point. Get your dental picks at swap meets lots cheaper! You can never have too many of them! I know everyone doesn't have access to a sand blaster but they work great at low low pressure with walnut shell or glass bead to knock the worst off. Harbor Freight has a small table top blaster set up that's not too expensive, and soda blasters. If you have room outside the bucket style blasters work good too. Start off real low pressure and work up. Then throw your larger object in the electrolysis tank. 5 min on the blaster saves me 4 or 5 hours in the tank.

Akoostek

Jan 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use baking soda and not salt, salt emits the gas sodium chlorine from what I read.

Thanks for the video

Thanks for the tip, gotta find out more about it ;) Amazed by how good it worked though!

OP
OP
gsxraddict

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One important thing from your video, the negative clip goes to the relic

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not recommend drilling a hole. You will ruin the item. All I do is wiggle and jiggle the alligator clip through the rust to get a good contact. If the rust is too thick, I will file a very small area to get contact.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean old car parts all the time and add arm Hammer washing soda to the water works great .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread