Glass bottle with dead mouse in it

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we have a glass bottle that's been standing up in storage for years. We have no idea if the bottle has any value.

Somehow a mouse managed to crawl in the bottle and there's no way for it to get out.

How do WE get it out?

I'm thinking some sort of mild acid (even something like citric), to dissolve the remains.

20160921_094736.jpg 20160921_094755.jpg 20160921_094805.jpg 20160921_094817.jpg 20160921_094824.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fill it up with coke and let it sit a week. might dissolve most of it

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if a chopstick with a noose can fit the neck. Then hold bottle upside down to catch and pull.

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if a chopstick with a noose can fit the neck. Then hold bottle upside down to catch and pull.

A chopstick with a noose? You mean like what an animal catcher uses to catch an animal at a distance? I'm fairly certain I don't have one of those.

Additionally, the thing is stuck to the bottom.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A chopstick with a noose? You mean like what an animal catcher uses to catch an animal at a distance? I'm fairly certain I don't have one of those.

Additionally, the thing is stuck to the bottom.

Ewww. That ensures a discounted price.
I use dried rice and water to clean bottles. Maybe just the rice shook around could unstick the mouse. A wire shoved in there risks scratches.
Kept dry after dislodged ,a plunger might break it up. Long wood spoon handle or dowel.

Tape can hold a noose ( check hand made snares for one way slide to wrap)on a stiff wire to fish near bottle shoulder once mouse is loose.
Worse case ,rehydrate the mouse with some alcohol or sanitizer in the liquid.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Throw it in a ant bed..

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw it in a ant bed..

This actually makes sense. The mouse is all dessicated but I guess I could add some sugar water to entice the bugs and put it safely somewhere in my backyard for a while in the spring, far away from the house...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet this morning you didn't say to yourself, "gee, I hope I'd be talking about how to rehydrate a dead mouse today". :D

I was not expecting such.

Original post had me thinking ship in a bottle.

As a kid a large carboy was spotted on a friends property near his hounds , with a dead mouse in it.
He said to leave it alone ,as it was his fly trap...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm telling you coke will dissolve bone, and cleans up blood well. probably wont get the hair but a bottle brush will scrub whats left. Or I'm a glass artist and you could commission me to make a new one thats much nicer! haha. Or you could try soaking in vinegar as well.would loosen it all up.

Last edited:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White vinegar or Muriatic acid. Neither will hurt the glass, but the latter will hurt you if not careful.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wire Hanger, Stick it in and tear it apart. it should be dry enough to turn to small bits. If it's as Old as I think.
Then dump them out and put a strong cleaner in. (CLR ? ) (Vinegar & Baking Soda ? ) (Coke ?)
You may even be able to Purchase a thin enough Brush or make something with a Small piece of cotton or Cloth if necessary to scrub the bottom.

If you have the Patience, The sugar And outside for a few months Idea should work.
Either that or it will invite a second mouse :laughing7:

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muriatic acid would probably do the trick. Also, if you are making more than 20 copies be sure to see Linda.

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i'm with Dug on this one

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey!! How's the mouse infestation working out?

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for asking! The bottle is still in our storage unit so I haven't done anything yet.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. The idea of using coca cola was just plain ridiculous. That's an old wives tales and been endlessly proven untrue. Muriatic acid is too dangerous for my lifestyle. I'm in no hurry, so I kinda like the idea of adding some sugar water to the bottle and putting it in the backyard for a while, flat on the ground away from where a mower might get it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread