metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put this decorative horseshoe through elecrolysis. This is the second item I have ever put through my machine. I was pretty impressed by the results, but I accidentally broke off part of the top. I am still kicking myself that I was not more careful, but all in all I am still happy. I coated it in Rustolium which may not be the best method, but I am sure it will protect the horseshoe from rusting again.

Attachments

• 1500217780425.jpg
    1500217780425.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 1500217952996.jpg
    1500217952996.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 357

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Paste wax will keep rust at bay but it needs re-coating from time to time.
Some meteorite (mostly iron) collectors will sometimes use automatic transmission fluid. I guess it drys somewhat
forming protection.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks nice. good work. I got a few things I can send you for more practice if you need it ;)

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful! I've found the best method for coating for what I've found is 2-3 coats of 3 in 1 oil, toothbrushed in, let each coat soak/dry in between and after the last application, spray 2-3 coats of satin poly. Works for me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job! :occasion14:

AleFF

Dec 11, 2016
Donetsk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You write that you broke a thing after cleaning. I want to note one theoretical part when working with electrolysis - during cleaning, the metal is saturated with hydrogen and becomes brittle. In order to avoid this, it is necessary to change the polarity for a while (1-5 minutes) at the end of the cleaning cycle. Metal becomes much stronger.

AleFF

Dec 11, 2016
Donetsk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the preservation of objects, that is, the technique of coating them with micro-wax or jewelry wax. It differs from ordinary beeswax in that it does not make objects whitish.
This is well suited for coins and small metal plastics.
If there are large metal objects, then the coating with tannin, a vegetable inhibitor, works very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread