Cleaning Shark Pit Cookie Coins using electrolysis

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
First I want to thank rtde3 for letting me try electrolysis on some of his Shark Pit cookie coins.
and for the shark tooth
DSC01552.JPG
With It were 3 cookies
DSC01549.JPG
quarter sized these are usually standing liberty or barber quarters
DSC01550.JPG
penny sized with that copper green crust, usually an indian head or wheat penny
DSC01551.JPG
dime sized most likely a merc or a barber dime
first order of busyness was to make a contact point on each of the coins, bare metal for current to past through
I accomplished this in short order with a dremel and dentist pick.
DSC01555.JPG
quarter
DSC01556.JPG
dime, I could tell delamination was going to be an issue here if i was not careful more on that later
DSC01565.JPG
penny
Once cleaned it is time to make your electrolyte solution(I use vinegar for silver and baking soda for copper)
and hook up your power supply (I use 9V 300mA) copper anode for copper and in this case I was using a pull tab
anode for the silver (I found a use for them!)
The silver coins gave off a white substance when zapped. Something was leaching out of the crust.
DSC01568.JPG
After a few hours off and on of treating the crust will start to soften.
From here the crust must be manually removed..... and here it gets tricky
The following pictures are not pretty
DELAMINATION- the coin comes apart in layers losing detail and if you are not careful the whole coin
DSC01574.JPG
I was able to save the rest of the coin and get the date but much was lost
DSC01577.JPG
DSC01572.JPG
The dime was holding up better at this point and was probably the best preserved of the bunch
The penny...... we wont go there :(
I will post the finished pictures in the next post
What did I learn?
1.These coins are highly unstable due to what I believe is copper loss from up to 100 years in the water.
2.The coins are porous because of this and soak up water. The more they soak the more they can delaminate.
3.Go slower the coins aren't going anywhere
4.It really sucks when the edge snaps off a SLQ
5.rtde3 is the man!
6.Whites metal detectors are the best ( lol I am going to get it for putting that one in.... ;D)

It was a great time seeing these old coins that come from such a cool place in person and being able to work on them.
rtde3, best of luck hunting the Shark Pit! HH,
Donny

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
Here are the finished pictures :D

1917 Standing Liberty Quarter
DSC01581.JPG
DSC01582.JPG
1907 Barber Dime
DSC01585.JPG
DSC01588.JPG
19?? Wheat Penny
DSC01591.JPG
DSC01590.JPG

HH,
Donny

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about this... How do wreck divers get their Spanish silver and copper so clean??? If the only way to clean such saltwater finds is electrolysis, why do I not see Spanish coins looking like this after cleaning? They've been in the water much longer, after all.

Perhaps someone with diving and recovery experience will also comment on this thread. Grubby?

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
I have a question about this... How do wreck divers get their Spanish silver and copper so clean??? If the only way to clean such saltwater finds is electrolysis, why do I not see Spanish coins looking like this after cleaning? They've been in the water much longer, after all.

Perhaps someone with diving and recovery experience will also comment on this thread. Grubby?

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I am sure there are other ways to clean crusted sliver and I am only just learning about electrolysis. I think Grubby said he used a mild acid bath,
but I could be wrong. HH,
Donny

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a silver tag on a Treasure Coast beach but it was only a cookie on one side. :dontknow:

I found a cob and it was only black.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the finished pictures :D

1917 Standing Liberty Quarter
View attachment 148511
View attachment 148512
1907 Barber Dime
View attachment 148513
View attachment 148514
19?? Wheat Penny
View attachment 148515
View attachment 148516

HH,
Donny

I recently found a 1837 Capped Bust half dollar cookie on a Treasure coast beach that broke my heart with delamination. It got worse and worse as it dried.
I will post photos later.
I actually got the date from the impression in the crust.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I belive it has alot to do with the amount of alloy.
A Capped bust half for instance is about 80% silver 20% copper.
Those two metals react and degrade differently and at different rates in salt water..that leads to delamination and I suspect the amount or lack of turbulence of where it spent most of its time would make a difference in weather a crust formed on it and stayed put or was tumbled away in sand and water...as with many beach found cobs.
A large percentage of reales recovered from under the bottom out near the wreck and ballest piles have a crust on them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread