Preserved my first Relic - Info/Advice Appreciated

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I hunted a field were a school house used to sit in the mid 1800s and found a pretty cool hammer. I have only found one other like it on the internet a #10 hammer? Mine does not have any markings
I tired the Apple Cider and brushing treatment for two weeks and coated in Crisco and baked for 2 hours @ 250 last night. I'm not sure all the rust is completely out of the cracks and around the head of the hammer so I may try a second round.

Any info on the hammer would be appreciated. 1800HAMMER.jpg

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Crisco baking permanent or should you put through a paragon wax bath?

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe if functions similar to the paragon wax but may not be permanent. Someone with more knowledge can speak to that. This is the cheapest method I had available though. I'll read up on the wax for sure.

***Update*** I just discover this is actually part of a Monkey wrench really wish it had some markings! The notch is for the adjustment mechanism. Now I need to get out and find the missing piece.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya beat me to it. I was going to mention it was a wrench. Don't be embarrassed. Over the years on Tnet, other folks have mis ID wrenches as hammers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread